Overclocking Q9300 To 3.0 Ghz

I set the FSB (QDR) to 1600, the Multiplyer is as high as it can go to 7.5, My ram is set to 1066 linked in a 3:2 with my FSB.

I boot up windows, and then it freezes midway through loading my taskbar. I've brought up my voltages to 1.32 from 1.2, But I've read somewhere you don't have to bring the voltages up for an OC like this.

I couldn't find a FSB without the QDR in the BIOS, so I just changed the whole thing from 1333 -> 1600.

P4 Was so much easier to overlock =)

Anyway, what am I doing wrong here? CPU VTT and CPU PLL are 1.12 and 1.54 respectively. Should those be played around with?

Thanks guys =)

Hi,

I'm new to overclocking but i was able to overclock my Q9300 on a Asus P5N-T mobo by changing the FSB to 1600. Ram Mem is unlinked and set to 1066. I changed the Core Voltage from Auto to 1.175v which is actually lower than on Auto(+-1.2v). Everything else to default. Temperatures are reasonable considering my stock Intel Cooler. Running stable sofar, ran Prime95 for a couple of hours.

Gonna add a Zalman 9700 or 9500 and try to get her to 3.2ghz or if possible 3.5ghz :)

Edited by DennisVR

Hi,

I'm new to overclocking but i was able to overclock my Q9300 on a Asus P5N-T mobo by changing the FSB to 1600. Ram Mem is unlinked and set to 1066. I changed the Core Voltage from Auto to 1.175v which is actually lower than on Auto(+-1.2v). Everything else to default. Temperatures are reasonable considering my stock Intel Cooler. Running stable sofar, ran Prime95 for a couple of hours.

Gonna add a Zalman 9700 or 9500 and try to get her to 3.2ghz or if possible 3.5ghz :)

have fun installing the 9700 =P Get the NT too.

Anyway, thank you for your help, that's what I did too but I think my northbridge is off. Not too sure though.

Hi I have the same cpu, mines sitting on 3.4 steady with after market cooler, I have the same mobo aswell I used ai overclock at 20% then changed it to manual overclock keepn the ai settings and worked it from there, Mine worked straight up with a 20% overclock but would show an error in prime 95 so i increased it to 3.4 and havent had any dramas. but all I did was made sure it was stable, then increased the fsb by increments of 5 untill it wouldnt post then when it wouldnt post I would icrease the voltage and after increasing voltage check prime 95 and temps, then if you run into dramas just back off. Reduce the fsb untill it posts or increase the voltage. All I would do if I was you is reduce the fsb by 2 or 3 and work backwards little by little.

From what I have read some motherboards have fsb holes which are overcome by increasing past the hole so if you went for 1706 or so with your fsb and aim for 3.2ghz or so. Play with the voltages you might get it goin again only your temps might be a bit high for your stock cooler. These cpus arent hard to overclock I dont know what people are talking about, it takes patience not rocket science. another thought, do you know your o.s runs properly? try it at stock speeds to make sure theres no problems with your o.s, also I have been told that after overclocking windows can play up and its recomended to install your o.s again after an overclock, I diddnt have any dramas with this though so cant confirm it. how long have you been waiting for windows to load because I have found with vista after its been updated it takes for ever to go in, try pulling out any usb devices aswell that might be playing up?

goodluck hope something was of use and was understandable...

Cheers, Olly

Edited by Breaker_74

Hi I have the same cpu, mines sitting on 3.4 steady with after market cooler, I have the same mobo aswell I used ai overclock at 20% then changed it to manual overclock keepn the ai settings and worked it from there, Mine worked straight up with a 20% overclock but would show an error in prime 95 so i increased it to 3.4 and havent had any dramas. but all I did was made sure it was stable, then increased the fsb by increments of 5 untill it wouldnt post then when it wouldnt post I would icrease the voltage and after increasing voltage check prime 95 and temps, then if you run into dramas just back off. Reduce the fsb untill it posts or increase the voltage. All I would do if I was you is reduce the fsb by 2 or 3 and work backwards little by little.

From what I have read some motherboards have fsb holes which are overcome by increasing past the hole so if you went for 1706 or so with your fsb and aim for 3.2ghz or so. Play with the voltages you might get it goin again only your temps might be a bit high for your stock cooler. These cpus arent hard to overclock I dont know what people are talking about, it takes patience not rocket science. another thought, do you know your o.s runs properly? try it at stock speeds to make sure theres no problems with your o.s, also I have been told that after overclocking windows can play up and its recomended to install your o.s again after an overclock, I diddnt have any dramas with this though so cant confirm it. how long have you been waiting for windows to load because I have found with vista after its been updated it takes for ever to go in, try pulling out any usb devices aswell that might be playing up?

goodluck hope something was of use and was understandable...

Cheers, Olly

Thank you for the reply. It's good information I hope I can use to get past this "hole".

But windows pretty much freezes right when Everest starts. The temperatures go into the taskbar, but then the freeze happens. I haven't waited longer than 15 seconds before rebooting just incase something breaks/melts.

But what sort of cooler do you have? 3.4 is pretty damn nice.

Im using a noctua nhu12p with 2 120mm fans blowing on to another 120 mm exhaust fan, I blew some smoke through the machine last night to see what was goin on with the air flow and its really good hey surprising to see how quick it goes. Heres a picDSCN3587-1.jpg. I think with these boards if anythings too hot or stressfull they reboot themselves, at an overclock like that I wouldnt be too worried about frying anything, have you tried for a lesser overclock yet?

Hi,

Just pointing this out but the zalman 9700 is really out of date and there can be better coolers for the price, id recommend the Xigmatek 2183, or the Thermalright ultra 120 extremem, or the Noctua NH-U12P

as for the OP, did you go straight for 3Ghz or are you jumping in small increments?

Edited by damian

Just pointing this out but the zalman 9700 is really out of date and there can be better coolers for the price, id recommend the Xigmatek 2183, or the Thermalright ultra 120 extremem, or the Noctua NH-U12P

as for the OP, did you go straight for 3Ghz or are you jumping in small increments?

I got to 1500 qdr in small increments but then it started to get unstable =(

Edited by Stryker125