Q9450 Refuses To Be Stable

Your cpu temp is too high, 72c is the max safe temp according to intel support guy I spoke with. The q9450 stock fan for me is insufficient to provide proper cooling, especially if your ambient temps are like mine during summer. After applying aftermarket fan with arctic silver 5 I still get 50c temps under mild load but that is good enough for now.

Also the 780i had horrible problems if you don't have latest bios. Actually I've never had the pleasure of using such a screwed up bios until buying this evga 780i, after flashing to latest (P05p) no problems at all.

Don't use Core Temp to read your temps on the Q9450 it uses the wrong Tjmax of 105 and should be 95. I use Real Temp (http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/ ) and get much lower temps. I have my Q9450 clocked at 3.4 and running very stable and the only thing I've changed was my cpu volts to 1.28 and set my ram voltage to 2.1 and timings to 5-5-5-18 2T . The only major thing that I changed was my motherboard, I had a 780I and left it for the P5K Premium and have never regretted it. I just never could get my nvidia chipset to overclock worth a crap and be stable, so I give up SLI and went with an Intel chipset (P35 ). No matter what you decide to stay with at least give Real temp a try.