Whats The Deal With Coolit Tec Cooling?

I know these have been out for a while but they don't seem to be all that popular anymore; at least from my perspective. I am maybe interested in getting one of these to cool the CPU but wondering if its worth it? I am not a huge overclocker but would like to keep the CPU as cool as possible with a simple bolt-on. Already have other H20 systems but don't another one right now. I also like quiet systems and would change the fan for a quieter one right away. Worth getting??

I know these have been out for a while but they don't seem to be all that popular anymore; at least from my perspective. I am maybe interested in getting one of these to cool the CPU but wondering if its worth it? I am not a huge overclocker but would like to keep the CPU as cool as possible with a simple bolt-on. Already have other H20 systems but don't another one right now. I also like quiet systems and would change the fan for a quieter one right away. Worth getting??

Truth is, it is no better than a high end air cooler and in some cases like on Quads at full load its worse...

I don't know about the newer models, but I have an original Freezone unit, and it performs very well...Presently running my Opty 165 @3gig, this morning after firing up the main unit the CPU was idling somewhere between 11*c and 15*c...yesterday I did an SP2004 run for several hours, max temps reached @100% usage was 38*c on core 1 and 45*c on core 2, this is with ambients @around 20*c. The only modifications I have done are really simple, I juiced the 12v line a bit so the teacs get just a smidgen more juice to help with cooling, and I stacked a 120mm fan w/a 120mm to 92mm adaptor on the original unit to help with the extra heat produced with the pump up in teac volts....

When it comes to Intels, some of the high watt egg frying cpu's will not fair well with a Freezone unit, so one must be prudent when making the decision, there are many who are dissappointed with the performance on a Sintel unit, prolly a perfect canidate for a Boreas chiller....I am thinking of adding the Boreas chiller to my original Freezone unit, it can only help, not so much with idle, but it should help keep the full load temps down even lower.

I have played with teacs for years (had a Sintel P4 2.4 up to 3.6 back in the day with a homemade unit, ran @1*c to 3*c @ idle), the one drawback is the heat produced by the teac itself, there is a delicate balance between input volts and teac efficientcy...and as you increase the cooling capacity with volts and more fannage, you create a lot more heat, thus increasing the ambient temps around the unit, and thus operating temps.....not to mention the noise....

Anyway, I have yet to find any righteous air cooling that equals both idle and full load temps....The one thing I have noticed when reviewing the postages over at the Freezone forums, the older original units seem to be the best performers, the newer issues (which are supposed to be better?) are hit and miss....

Your mileage my differ, but for my $$$, not a bad unit (I paid over $300 for mine, you can get the original unit for $149 refurbed now)....thinking of getting a second one...

Whatever,

Laterzzz....

Edited by bldegle2