OK, Im going w/ RedHat!

RaTeD-R

sorry to be a pain, but I just want to know what to expect b4 i get started.  What your saying is that Linux will format the hd for me?  There is nothing currently on my old HD I want to save, so reformatting is no biggie.  I have windows 3.1 installed on that drive also, will I have to uninstall that?  I no longer need it, I only want Linux on that comp.  

Just trying to get a few things cleared up, thanks again.

yeah linux install can format the drive(s) for you. it doesnt matter whats on the drive, cause linux will format it :)

u dont have to uninstall windows because the drive will be formatted before linux installs itself to the drive.

• 2 weeks later...

ANd here I am a few weeks later to confirm that, of course, something went wrong. The install process was going great, I couldn't install using a GUI because of lack of memory, but thats alright. After a few minutes of installing off the 2nd cd error however, some file was missing or corrupted. Its either from a bad download, scratched cd, or just a faulty program.....I don't know. I am going to redownload the .iso and put it on 3 diffrent cd's. I hope then it works.

The thing that pisses me off, is the file froze the whole install process!! I had every option checked when it asked me what I wanted to install. So the file that was missing probably was something that wasn't essential to Linux. The only option I had was to press OK, which brought me back to the same screen. I hit f12 for the next screen, I hit ctrl-c and a bunch of other keys.....the program was just caught in a loop. The cd-rom I am using for that box is only a 10x I believe. It's gonna take a good hour to install. And wasting that 30 minutes and then having it freeze really sucked.

So my first experience w/ Linux isn't a good one, but it's not Linux's fault. It's just my luck. I'll post again, hopefully w/ good news and no questions. I hope this works........

Alright, I'm gonna check around some FTP's tonight, but that ftp://andromeda.acs.uci.edu/mirrors/redha....3-en/iso/i386/ site has a messed up #2 .iso.

I went back to that site, redownloaded the 3 iso's and reburnt 3 cd's. I still got the same error, on the 2nd cd, just like the first time I tryed installing. I get the error "the file /mnt/source/RedHat/RPMS/SDL_net-12.3-2.i386.rpm cannot be opened. This is due to a missing file, a bad package, or bad media. Press return and try again".......then I press return and I'm caught in the same loop. This has to be a bad .iso.

If you can recommend any other ftp's that be great, or if you think its a completly diffrent problem all together let me know what you think I should do.

I hate computers......I'm freaking cursed. Everytime I go to do something it screws up, nothing ever goes like it should. I'll check back in later w/ my findings. Thanks.