Overclocking My Gigabyte....

MrBW

Great day all. I have been playing around with my mobo and trying to overclocking the heck out of it. Im running the gigabyte ga-p35-dq6, intel core duo E6850 and ocz reaper ddr2 1066 ram. So far I was able to oc it to 3.6ghz. i upped the fsb to 400, set the mem multiplier to 2.00 (which made my ram underclock from 1066 to 800), set the timiings from 5-5-5-15 to 4-4-4-12 and upped the volts for...

vcore = 1.375

vfsb = + .05

Vmch = + .05

vddr = + 5

... everything is running nice and stable and it raised my 3dmark06 score by 600 points. I was tweaking it even more last night and I was trying to lower the multiplier from 9x to 7x and up my fsb to 533 which made my ram go back to 1066 and the speed to 3.75ghz. at this point it just wasn't stable... so i tried to lower the multiplier again. I went from 7x to 6x which made my fsb 3.2ghz. But still it wasn't stable. Is there any way I can run the multiplier at 7x or 6x and make things stable by upping the voltages? my case air cooled so I am willing to up the voltages but not too much. Oh, and the reason why I set the memory multiplier to 2.00 is because thats the only way I can achieve a 1:1 ratio. Any feedback or help will be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you all in advance!

Chances are you've maxed the FSB speed at whatever voltage our NB is running at. Increase it a bit and give it another shot. If that doesn't work, chances are you'll have to drop the FSB and increase the multiplier if you want to get the highest OC you can on your 6850. And just in case you didn't know, realworld difference between ram at DDR2-800 and DDR2-1066 is negligible. If you're into synthetic benchmarks and squeezing out every point you can in them then I can understand. Running FSB:RAM at 1:1 is generally the best thing to do, though.

Chances are you've maxed the FSB speed at whatever voltage our NB is running at. Increase it a bit and give it another shot. If that doesn't work, chances are you'll have to drop the FSB and increase the multiplier if you want to get the highest OC you can on your 6850. And just in case you didn't know, realworld difference between ram at DDR2-800 and DDR2-1066 is negligible. If you're into synthetic benchmarks and squeezing out every point you can in them then I can understand. Running FSB:RAM at 1:1 is generally the best thing to do, though.

Thank you for your quick response! Basically what I was trying to do is run a 1:1 ratio on my ram's advertised speed. I am a bit of perfectionist and it drives me a bit crazy knowing that something is running slower then it's supposed to be. I ran sis sandra's memory bandwidth benchmark and I got a score of about 7800 b4 i overclocked and after i overclocked the memory bandwidth dropped 1000 points to 6800. I wonder if theres any performance differences when it comes to gaming?

Will there be a difference? Of course. Will it be noticeable? Nope.

If you're really unlucky you could see as much as a, brace yourself, one to two FPS difference!!! Oh the humanity! Drop the multi and OC it up without worrying about what sandra tells you and you'll be good to go. :)

I'm kinda like you except it pains me to see anything run at stock. That's compounded by the fact that I'm stuck with a POS foxconn board that won't OC worth a crap. You get used to it eventually.

Will there be a difference? Of course. Will it be noticeable? Nope.

If you're really unlucky you could see as much as a, brace yourself, one to two FPS difference!!! Oh the humanity! Drop the multi and OC it up without worrying about what sandra tells you and you'll be good to go. :)

I'm kinda like you except it pains me to see anything run at stock. That's compounded by the fact that I'm stuck with a POS foxconn board that won't OC worth a crap. You get used to it eventually.

LOL... I know what you mean. Running anything on stock is like making out with your own sister. I appreciate your input. I guess I have nothing to worry about then. I'll just chill out and enjoy what I have. Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...