Making Ie6 A Secure Browser (if That

az0000000

Hello everybody,

For certain performance reasons I HAVE to move back to from IE7 to IE.

I am actually mostly using Firefox, but yet, whenever I use IE6 I want it to be at least as 50% safe as IE7. Especially I want to find a way to block drive-by installs when

navigating infected websites.

Is there a way to configure IE6 in such way that nothing gets installed from browser, or no script will automatically run and install till I give IE6 permission to do that?

Is it possible at all to make IE6 safe?

Any info or links for good articles are deeply appreciated.

Regards.

well the best way to do that is to uninstall it and only use firefox.

but if you must keep it then there should be options for the things you wish to do in Internet Options. You want to look under the Security tab and the Advanced tab...I'm sorry but I don't know exactly where you would need to go. But I believe there are options for what you want in Internet Options. Also do all the Microsoft Updates, except IE7, so that IE6 has its patches.

Disabling ActiveX will make it quite a bit more secure. But that will also make it so IE doesnt work on microsoft sites and other sites that require IE. Kindof a catch 22, most of the scripting, and features that IE needs is what makes it insecure.

One of the biggest things you can do to make IE secure is to run it from a non-admin account. If your needing IE for a few specific sites, but not frequent web browsing you can have a non-admin account for that. (obviously if you need to use IE frequently this wont work very well)