Cooling A P4

vark5267

Hi,

New guy here.

I upgrade a system for a relative and took their old stuff to play around with OC'ing it. Its a P4 3.0GHz on a Asus P5P800-SE board.

I am running it stock now it stock with a zalman CNP 7700-Cu and the thing is frying at around 50C. The case is pretty well set up for cooling, intake in front and a 120mm fan blowing in the lower side over the SB and exaust in the rear an on the top. The MB temp stays around 30C

My question is do P4's normally run that hot or is the cooler junky or something else I should look at.

Thanks

if it is a prescott (preshott) then yes they run very hot. the northwoods on the other hand were much cooler. find out if yours is a prescott or a northwood and we can make a better assupmtion. if its a northwood then i would try pulling off the heatsink, cleaning it and the cpu, then reapply some thermal paste.

actually in that day and age, that was a decent cooler and was meant to cool later p4's and early A64's. i had one on my old 3200+ A64 and it ran load at 55C or so and idled around 28C.

BTW welcome to OCC :)

if it is a prescott (preshott) then yes they run very hot. the northwoods on the other hand were much cooler. find out if yours is a prescott or a northwood and we can make a better assupmtion. if its a northwood then i would try pulling off the heatsink, cleaning it and the cpu, then reapply some thermal paste.

actually in that day and age, that was a decent cooler and was meant to cool later p4's and early A64's. i had one on my old 3200+ A64 and it ran load at 55C or so and idled around 28C.

BTW welcome to OCC :)

Thanks, its a Prescott.

OK with nothing going on that's high even for a presshott, you might want to remount that cooler and see if you royally screwed the thermal paste application. Also after using one of thoes coolers myself i can honestly say Zalman did a VERY bad job of making the mount for that cooler easy to use so that may have helped in getting bad temps.

Oh and no you dont need to start OCing it with that as an idle temp...load I would certinaly assume it's throttling itself due to high temps.

OK with nothing going on that's high even for a presshott, you might want to remount that cooler and see if you royally screwed the thermal paste application. Also after using one of thoes coolers myself i can honestly say Zalman did a VERY bad job of making the mount for that cooler easy to use so that may have helped in getting bad temps.

Oh and no you dont need to start OCing it with that as an idle temp...load I would certinaly assume it's throttling itself due to high temps.

I took it all a part, cleaned it and reapplied the past, i even modded the mounting stand and trimmed a little of the legs off to get a snugger fit to the cpu, still running at 50c. I did touch the heat sink and it actually did not feel that hot, I have been using the Asus program to check the temp, and another software program(forget which one now) what kind of prob can I use to get the true temp?