Are my part compatible? Plus some other questions about OCing...

Regicide

Newegg Wish List

I just want to make sure all these parts are compatible and such. Also, how is this build for overclocking? I don't plan to start overclocking immediately as I don't trust myself but it'd be nice if my computer was capable of it whenever I become competent with hardware. This is my first post, I'll be making a Introduction thread probably in the proper forum soon, it should be exciting!

Thanks for the help.

OC Timeline:

Changed RAM! I went from this (CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) to this (mushkin 2GB (2 x 1GB) on the recommendation of Eins7ein!

Changed Graphics Card! I went from MSI NX8800GT 512M OC GeForce 8800GT to EVGA 512-P3-N841-AR GeForce 8800GTS (G92) on the recommendation of mattwalter85!

Changed PSU! I went from PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad to PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 again on the recommendation of mattwalter85!

Edited by Regicide

Most of your parts look ok to me except that memory. I'm just curios why are you going with memory that only runs at 675mhz when it's oc'd when you could spend an extra few bucks and get some decent memory that will oc well that runs at at least 800mhz at 4-4-4-12. That and the cpu cooler you chose doesn't look to me like it is going to do much better than the stock one. If you can afford it I would also suggest a bigger hd but if it isn't in your budget then never mind. Just my .02 though, there are many much more knowledgeable people around here than I.

You're the second person to say I should change my RAM so now I'll definitely be checking into that. Do you have any reccomendations? As far as the hard drive is concerned... I've been living off 38GB for 6 years now... I really don't think I'll need more than 150 and if I ever do, I have plenty of bays to put them in. I could afford a bigger one but until I need one that extra money is better spent on TF2 or better RAM! :P

Edited by Regicide

I'm personally partial to mushkin when it comes to memory. Here is a nice set form them that should treat you well when it comes time to oc and it's only gonna cost you $2 more than the set you had in your wishlist. If you wanted to go a little higher in performance and overclockability you could go with something like this. It really depends on how tight your budget is. I can understand about the hard drive, believe me when I went from 20gb to 150 I was amazed. But alas they do fill up quickly when you're like some of us and end up with large amounts of digital media on you computer, but if you're just gaming you should be fine.

Thanks for those suggestions. I'm going to take your advice on the ram and go with the first set you said. It has the benefit of free shipping. The other set you mentioned is another $10 dollars more and no free shipping.

My budget is $1300-$1500.

Thanks.

Glad I could help. Those sticks should serve you well, mine sure have. Good luck with your build and happy overclocking. If you need any more help the guys around here are always very helpful. I wouldn't have half the rig I have today if I had never found this place.

that power supply is WAY overkill bud. pick up a PCP&C Silencer 610(which is still overkill)but will save u some money. that setup's only going to be pulling around 350-400 wats MAXX so u def.dont need a psu that big. also i'd go with either some adata sticks or some crucial ballistix sticks because u said u plan on overclocking later on...here are a couple links that may help.....also u can get a 8800GTS that'll kill that GT for like 70.00 more bud.....the link is below

PSU- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817703005

Mem- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820211066

or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820146565

Vid card- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130325

hope I helped

Yeah, the PSU is kind of expensive... I want to get a few more opinions on my PSU... because if I go with the one you recommended, I can get that better card without going too far over my budget... Thanks for the advice and link.

EDIT: I was looking at the price BEFORE the rebate... so I would only be saving $50 dollars... I guess I can add another $30 to my budget.

Thoughts?

Edited by Regicide

Since I'm gearing up to actually start purchasing all this. How should I store the pieces until I've got all of them? I've got about $600 on hand right now and I should have the rest within the next three weeks. How should I go about actually buying them?

Since I'm gearing up to actually start purchasing all this. How should I store the pieces until I've got all of them? I've got about $600 on hand right now and I should have the rest within the next three weeks. How should I go about actually buying them?

I'd just wait until you have enough money for all the parts and then order them all at once.

• 1 month later...

Well, I have started ordering the parts . . . I have all the money in my bank now. I got the monitor a few days ago, I've ordered the RAM, DVD burner, DVI cable and I managed to snag the processor that has been out of stock for 3 months, it's on the way now.

Anyways . . .

I'd just like to confirm again that the RAM I bought, from mushkin is compatible with my mobo, it's the only thing I'm not 100% sure on. I'd also like to ask some advice for when I'm actually building the computer, such anti-static mats and what have you. I also need some tips on cable management, I would love for it to look nice and clean in there when I boot her up.