Minor problem with 8800GT SC + HR-03 GT operating temps...

MaxRebo

Last night I installed the HR-03 GT on my video card (eVGA 8800GT SC).

I gamed for a couple of hours last night... just WoW, nothing extremely demanding, and so far, I'm seeing decent numbers, but not quite close to the numbers I expected based on several reviews.

My first question: How long does it usually take for thermal compound (AS5) to "break in" (for lack of better words)?

My core temps are ~45C idle and 65C load, just while playing that game. They should be lower. Granted, my card is the SC version, so it will run a bit hotter, but I still think the temperatures can be better. For comparison, I was seeing 55/85-90C idle/load with the stock cooler, and 45/65C lower with the fan screaming loudly on high.

The first thing that comes to mind is that I applied too much AS5. However, I did spread it out and scraped off excess. I applied it to the core and to the bottom of the heatsink. I've used AS5 on my last two CPUs as well, and the results were pretty good when combined with a CNPS9500.

The second thing that comes to mind is perhaps I need to turn up the speed of my case fans. They're on medium now (P180 case). Maybe I need an additional fan up front? It's definitely a tight fit, too, taking up 4 slots with the 92mm Panaflo fan installed.

Either way, I can't be sure until I start poking around. I've used AC Silencers in the past with very good results, but this is the first cooler I've used where I didn't get good numbers right away.

Are there other things I may have missed?

Thanks for any info.

Edited by MaxRebo

65C is perfectly fine for an 8800GT. I wouldnt worry until getting around 90c, somewhere around 110C is where the card starts to throttle itself.

Edit* If you let AS5 "burn in" it will only get you a couple degrees lower.

Edited by SMeeD

It turns out my temps weren't fine enough for me. :)

I removed the heatsink, to check coverage. It was ok. I then spread a bit more around the bottom of the heatsink and scraped off a tiny bit from the GPU. I doubt that made any difference.

The biggest change I noticed was that I tightened down the 4 screws much more than they were before. I think that was the culprit -- contact with the GPU wasn't quite good enough.

Now, my GPU temps are 37C idle and 44C load. I ran the ATITool 3D thingamajig and the temp ramped up to 44 and stayed there for a few minutes. I was happy. :D

Good stuff.

Edited by MaxRebo