Doing a System Overhaul Need Some Input

CrackHead

I have finally decided its time to do a little upgrading! Before I do so I wanted to run a couple of possible ideas by yall and see what happens... A lot has changed in the world of computers since my last system upgrade leaving me sorta in the dark on a lot of things. Rather talking about something I know nothing about, let me tell you what I do know and hopefully we can meet somewhere in the middle. First of all is that my computer just isn't cutting it for me anymore hence the reason for this post. Aside from the occasional gaming, I primary use my computer for digital imaging, video encoding/decoding, and school work. Despite AMD's incredibly low prices, not to mention my previous issues with their competitor, I decided to go back to "light side" of Intel once again. With that being said I was looking looking for a Intel processor in the price range of $150 - $250. In conjunction with the processor I wanted to install 4GB of DDR2 memory for around $115, possibly GSkill. Finally there would be the motherboard; which I need serious input on as I have no clue what to get other than a Socket 775. All in all, I'm looking to spend around ~$450 for this upgrade endeavor of mine (the lower the better).

Current System

PSU: Antec - Neo HE 550-Watt

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+

RAM: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR 400

GPU: XFX 6800GS

---------------------------------------------

Questions

Processor - Should I hold off on a quad-core CPU until it becomes more widespread since few applications take advantage of it?

Memory - Thoughts on GSKILL?

Motherboard - What chipset would you recommend Intel or Nvidia?

Motherboard - What brand/models would you recommend or those that I should avoid?

Power Supply - Would my current power supply be sufficient for the job ahead?

Motherboard: No Clue - Recommendations?

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz or Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz

Memory: G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

I have not intentions at this time to overclock my system, however I would like to keep that door open for further down the road. Also keep in mind I'm not the guy who knows the inner workings of a component, but instead just your everyday user with a little bit of experience; try and keep your answers as idiot proof as possible lol. As always if you have any comments, questions, or concerns please let me know.

Thanks in Advanced...

Edited by CrackHead

Also keep in mind I'm not the guy who knows the inner workings of a component, but instead just your everyday user with a little bit of experience; try and keep your answers as idiot proof as possible lol.

Yeah he's not joking, actually, you know that saying that if you make something idiot proof they'll just make a better idiot...well here he is :D

For thoes who dont know/remember/care CrackHead is one of my interwebs friends that while ill spend lots of time helping him here figuring out what he needs/wants, telling him what he should buy, etc in the end it'll all come down to if he listens and ends up happy or ignores me and ends up with that 775 Netburst based fire hazzard he built that one time...

If you could give us an overall budget, we could help you out a lot better :)

All in all, I'm looking to spend around ~$450 for this upgrade endeavor of mine (the lower the better).

I knew I forgot something in my first post lol...