Removed the IHS on my Opty -

Waco

4 sticks? Are you running 4 sticks in both of your rigs, or does one use 2x1GB sticks? 2x1GB sticks are a lot easier than 4x512MB sticks in terms of OCing :)

4 sticks in my desktop, 2 sticks in my HTPC (the HTPC only has 2 slots).

I know it's harder to OC with 4, but I'm not willing to drop to 1 gig in my HTPC. :) I've got the memory running at full speed now with relatively tight timings (something that wouldn't even boot before) and it's currently cranking away on Orthos.

The board isn't what's limiting me currently. I had it running at 333x8 just a few minutes ago and it didn't give me any trouble (aside from core 0 crapping out like normal after a little while). Clock speeds are my problem. :(

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

See? There is a point to IHS removal after all :P

Assuming it passes the next 23 hours of priming then I'll be one happy camper. :) That, and my load temps dropped a decent amount. Can't argue with that!

I don't think I'm going to do it to my HTPC though, the mobo won't go over 223 HTT anyway. :P

So far works great with mine!!!! dropped my x2 down 5c on idle and about 7-8c on load give or take. I also lapped my water block while I was at it.

Congrats, good job.

Well I built a bracket to bolt down my XP-120 instead of using that horrible clamp setup. It dropped my temps by 10 C on load for the hot core and 5 C for the cooler one. They now read within a degree or two of each other in CoreTemp!

We'll see what it can do OC-wise now...hopefully the contact is good enough on the hot/bad/slow core that it'll let me push it a little farther.

When my roommate gets back I'll get some pics up, PNY won't write a Vista driver for the card reader because it's about 8 years old. :P

So, I guess that the reason 1 core was hotter than the other was that the IHS was seated badly. That makes sense. Nice job by the way.

I don't think I'm going to do it to my HTPC though, the mobo won't go over 223 HTT anyway. :P

Thinks are colder when naked lol... it might let you run the fans slower... but I'm guessing noise isn't an issue in that rig anyway

I just broke 3ghz in SPi1m with no IHS (previously 2975MHz, now 3014MHz)

39 extra MHz oc on the CPU, much much lower temps, and probably the same mem payoff as you, but that takes longer to find out conclusively hehe

I didn't attempt SPi32m before... just passed @ 2.95ghz... which is VERY promising... if SPi1m and SPi32m are close, the max dual Prime shouldn't be much lower (in theory)... not finished with SPi32m yet though :)

Thinks are colder when naked lol... it might let you run the fans slower... but I'm guessing noise isn't an issue in that rig anyway

Not at all. Even maxed out fan speed-wise it's near silent. :)

Do you just like gently pull that off? is there a huge advantage to sittin the h/s right on the chip as opposed to sittin it on the chips h/s?

It's actaully are really hard thing to do. it's stressful cause you don't want to ruin a 100 + dollar chip, and when you finally get it all cut around your like... sweet time to unveil this baby, just to realize you have to really work to get that IHS off it doesn't just come off when it's cut through the stuff that seats it in like bonds it so you have to be super careful.

Pics!

EDIT: Stepping is CCBWE 0601UPMW. Not the greatest but not the worst.

A couple minutes into lapping - damn this thing was uneven!

As for the bolting down - I removed the two brackets seen in this pic. I then screwed on the brackets from my Swiftech northbridge cooler that won't fit on the board. To mount it, I just used the same hardware and threaded the long screws from the Swiftech cooler up through the stock backplate then clamped it down from above. I didn't use the top bracket at all where it normally clipped on, this helps airflow to the FETS on the board that I added heatsinks to as well (seen in the last pic).

P1010022.JPG

Progress was slow even with 400 grit to start...

P1010026.JPG

That's better!

P1010027.JPG

Post-decapitation:

P1010032.JPG

P1010037.JPG

I didn't realize this thing was so heavy/thick!

P1010041.JPG

Random pic of everything pulled out. I ended up removing the mobo and bolting the cooler directly to the rear bracket using leftover parts. Unfortunately in my excitement to get it back together to see if I'd broken anything I forgot to take a picture of how the HSF is mounted.

P1010046.JPG

Heeeeeeey.... I have that same mobo, or one really similar!