Reinstalling XP

pizsa

I'm trying to do a clean install of xp on an old pc because there's a lot of crap and problems with it. Every time it boots and starts to load everything, the computer turns off and makes a loud beep sound and doesn't go away unless I press the power button. I don't think anything is wrong with the psu or if the cpu is over heating because the computer runs normally without any problems.

What do you mean exactly by "running normally" as it seems that computer is very much not running normally. Are you trying to recover this version of windows that is already on there? My advice is to just reinstall using the cd, as I would just consider everything lost. "Every time it boots and starts to load everything", do you mean that when it boots to windows on the hard drive or on the disc? Will it boot into the windows on the hard drive at all? Or is this just when booting to the disc? I know you're new here but please consider being more detailed and specific when you make posts, as this will help us answer them.

Sorry about that. Windows boots and runs smoothly without any errors or crashing. The windows cd boots before windows boots up. As it starts loading that's when my computer would shut off and make a loud beeping noise.

Well that's interesting. You could try instead starting the install of the new xp within windows itself as opposed to booting directly to the disc.

-EDIT- Since I have no idea what is going on, I can only offer suggestions.

Edited by Crow47