E6600

Urizen

thanks for the tips, guys. i've been running orthos for a few hours now, and everything seems to be okay. the highest temp i've seen during testing is 62C, but it's usually between 55 and 60. i'm going to try setting the FSB slightly higher and then let orthos run untill tomorrow morning.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the tips, guys. i've been running orthos for a few hours now, and everything seems to be okay. the highest temp i've seen during testing is 62C, but it's usually between 55 and 60. i'm going to try setting the FSB slightly higher and then let orthos run untill tomorrow morning.

What test are you running in Orthos? What priority is it set at? I'd suggest either Small FFTs (stress CPU) or Blend (stress CPU and RAM) with priority 8.

What heatsink are you using?

What test are you running in Orthos? What priority is it set at? I'd suggest either Small FFTs (stress CPU) or Blend (stress CPU and RAM) with priority 8.

What heatsink are you using?

i was running the blend test on priority 1, but i'll try out your suggestion. i'm just using the heatsink that came with the motherboard.

i tried going a bit higher with the FSB, but then the computer wouldn't start. i had to flip the cmos switch to get it going again. fortunately, i'd saved my settings in a BIOS profile so i didn't have to go through everything again.

agreed about keeping the load temps below 65*C, you will run into some problems if it goes much higher than that, I would suggest getting one of the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme heat sinks and if you have a 120mm fan laying around put that on there, if not, you may want to pick one up. I have that HSF setup on my E6600 and my load temps never hit 50*C when Im running at 3424MHz and keeping the voltage around 1.44V

i tried bumping it up some more, but had to settle with 3262 MHz because i got a "MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION" on startup. raising the voltage doesn't seem to be helping. should i settle for this, or is there something else i can try? heat doesn't seem to be an issue yet, it's at 37C\34C right now.

37/34*C for load or for idle?

What I do to keep from having to spend hours of testing the CPU when I am testing for stability, especially since I like to personally monitor the temps, I run 30min tests of OCCT and if it passes that test I will OC more or until I find a good stopping point then I will run a few hour test using ORTHOS.

I have no idea what that error is, I think thats 3262 is a pretty decent OC for the begining....

What multi are you using?

Could you post 2 screen shots? One of the CPU-Z CPU page and the other of the CPU-Z Memory tabbed page?

I dont know if I had mentioned it before on this one, however, I have my FSB speed at 428 and an 8x multi which gives me the 3424MHz core speed, then I threw the memory on a 1:1 ratio which brought my memory frequencey up to 428MHz, instead of the stock 400MHz

37/34*C for load or for idle?

What I do to keep from having to spend hours of testing the CPU when I am testing for stability, especially since I like to personally monitor the temps, I run 30min tests of OCCT and if it passes that test I will OC more or until I find a good stopping point then I will run a few hour test using ORTHOS.

I have no idea what that error is, I think thats 3262 is a pretty decent OC for the begining....

What multi are you using?

Could you post 2 screen shots? One of the CPU-Z CPU page and the other of the CPU-Z Memory tabbed page?

I dont know if I had mentioned it before on this one, however, I have my FSB speed at 428 and an 8x multi which gives me the 3424MHz core speed, then I threw the memory on a 1:1 ratio which brought my memory frequencey up to 428MHz, instead of the stock 400MHz

could you please explain what you mean by "multi"?

34C\37C is for idle, that's what it is right now. it went up to as much as 62C under stress.

note that the memory frequency in that pic is misleading. for some reason, my motherboard thinks my ram is inferior to what it actually is. it's actually 800 MHz. i've looked around in the BIOS for ways to change the frequency, but i haven't found it yet.

jafefaabk.jpgjafegaabk.jpg

could you please explain what you mean by "multi"?

34C\37C is for idle, that's what it is right now. it went up to as much as 62C under stress.

note that the memory frequency in that pic is misleading. for some reason, my motherboard thinks my ram is inferior to what it actually is. it's actually 800 MHz. i've looked around in the BIOS for ways to change the frequency, but i haven't found it yet.

When he said "multi" he meant CPU multiplier. FSB x multi = CPU speed. Your multiplier is 9.

Actually, your memory is currently running at DDR2-906. That's Double Data Rate. Basically your FSB x RAM multiplier (or divider) x 2 = DDR speed. I hope I'm not making this more confusing. It's really quite simple. Your FSB:RAM ratio is 4:5. That means if your FSB is 400MHz, your RAM will be 500MHz (DDR2-1000). In this case, your FSB is 362 and your RAM is 453 (DDR2-906). Make sense? I would suggest setting your FSB:RAM ratio to 1:1 (that's Linked and Synced with your mobo ;)).

What RAM are you using? What voltage? Your instability might be caused by your RAM and not your CPU at this point.

What is your chipset voltage? I think it's called vGMH or something...

When he said "multi" he meant CPU multiplier. FSB x multi = CPU speed. Your multiplier is 9.

Actually, your memory is currently running at DDR2-906. That's Double Data Rate. Basically your FSB x RAM multiplier (or divider) x 2 = DDR speed. I hope I'm not making this more confusing. It's really quite simple. Your FSB:RAM ratio is 4:5. That means if your FSB is 400MHz, your RAM will be 500MHz (DDR2-1000). In this case, your FSB is 362 and your RAM is 453 (DDR2-906). Make sense? I would suggest setting your FSB:RAM ratio to 1:1 (that's Linked and Synced with your mobo ;)).

What RAM are you using? What voltage? Your instability might be caused by your RAM and not your CPU at this point.

What is your chipset voltage? I think it's called vGMH or something...

simple, you say? i'll read it again tomorrow and see if it makes more sense after a good night's sleep:)

i'll also check out the vGMH tomorrow.

what's the difference between linked and synced ram? i can choose either in the BIOS. my ram is the Kingston DDR2 HyperX PC6400. i'm guessing that i'm running it at 2v, since that's the default and i haven't made any ram changes in the BIOS.

simple, you say? i'll read it again tomorrow and see if it makes more sense after a good night's sleep:)

i'll also check out the vGMH tomorrow.

what's the difference between linked and synced ram? i can choose either in the BIOS. my ram is the Kingston DDR2 HyperX PC6400. i'm guessing that i'm running it at 2v, since that's the default and i haven't made any ram changes in the BIOS.

I'm not too familiar with the 680i chipset, but Linked and Synced are settings in the BIOS that basically does the same thing as setting the FSB:RAM ratio to 1:1 on every other chipset on the planet. :rolleyes:

You can probably increase the RAM voltage to 2.1-2.2 volts, higher if you have active cooling. I'm not sure that your RAM will OC that well, but it's made it this far. :lol:

those were the reasons that I was asking, to gain some stability, he should probably put it on the 1:1 ratio, and he probably could loosen up to 8-8-8-21-28 for his RAM timings and/or add some more voltage to the RAM. I have a feeling that his ram is going to be his bottleneck and hold him back from some higher CPU clock speeds.

I like to run mine at a 8 multi to keep my FSB higher and keep my RAM speeds higher, like 856 for my RAM is pretty good, a 3424MHz CPU clock speed is good and a 1712MHz FSB is pretty high, those are just some personal preferences. I probably could accomplish a higher clock speed if I brought my multi up to 9x and lowered my FSB to about 390 which would give me 3510MHz clock speed but only a 780MHz RAM clock speed if I kept the 1:1 ratio

If you would like for us to clear any of this up, just let us know some of your specific questions and we will be more than happy to answer them for you, at least I know that I will be :)

HAPPY OVERCLOCKING!

I dont know if you have taken a look at our OCC F@H team, but you should, its a great way to keep your stability in constant check