OBD Scanner?

Malroth

Hallo hallo. I was wondering if anyone out there might have any suggestions on a decent, reasonably priced OBD-I scanner for a 95 Crown Vic.

Hallo hallo. I was wondering if anyone out there might have any suggestions on a decent, reasonably priced OBD-I scanner for a 95 Crown Vic.

I use a Moates USB data cable and my old laptop, with the TunerPro RT software package. It has not only datalogger but full programming options, scanner, emulator, etc. The software works for just about any vehicle, just need the proper ODBI or ODBII cable and the data definition file(which you can download most for free from website).

The only downfall is that the learning curve is pretty steep, and with the ability to not only datalog but to change every computer parameter such as spark advance, retard, fuel injector settings, shift points, etc it can be dangerous if used incorrectly. An easier to use software package is TTS Datamaster, which has a "prettier" more user friendly interface and is simpler to use. It has a free download available, with all features enabled but limited to 20 logs. Both will also need the ~$40 data cable and a spare laptop(old weak ones are fine, nothing stressful), but you can make a cable for like 10 bucks yourself if you have the skills(and patience).

For handheld scanners I am not sure, there are TONS around and the price varies greatly when they all do basically the same thing...for a bit more you can get a whole package to not only datalog but also tweak and change the ECM settings to your liking - even if it is just for simple things like advancing the timing a little to take advantage of 93 octane, or moving your shift points higher or increasing tranny line pressure for more firm shifts.

I know that many autoparts store will pull ODBII codes for free, and some have the cable for the ODBI style ports as well. If it is a one time thing that would be the cheapest option - free :).

Wow, thanks for all the great advice! I guess I'll just stick with going to an auto place for now and getting the freeby scan since it'll just be an occasional thing. But maybe someday when I'm more adventerous I'll try playing with some of those settings you talked about.