wired and wireless

flareback

Ok I have a wireless network that I use to connect to the internet. However I have a computer that doesn't have a wireless card so I'm using an old linksys 5 port hub (10 Mb - not 10/100) to connect the computer with wireless to the one that doesn't have wireless. I can ping between them but I can't seem to get the wired only to connect to the internet even though the other one can. (thats confusing).

I have the windows machine set to share the internet but still nothing. I connected another computer to it to test and the 2nd windows machine can connect to the internet.

Anyone have any thoughts. I need it to connect because it's going to be a folding rig. Is there trick I don't know about on the linux side of life? I'm still looking through google but nothing yet.

Edit: I'm using Vector linux in case you wanted to know. (based on slackware)

Guest Raven65

Why not bypass the hub and link directly to the router? If that's possible.

The other problem might be that you don't have connection sharing on in windows.

I bet it's your settings on the Linux or one of the window's computers. The set up is fine, and I do that same thing for my computer and my Xbox 360. It took me a while to configure the settings to get internet, but it's awesome now. Also, Raven is right, why not just connect straight to the router if you can?

well the router is in the living room because thats where the cable comes into the house (the way my wife had it set up before we got married because she sits on the coach with her laptop. I installed wireless when we got married). All that to say I don't want a cable running across the living room floor into the office.

I think it's the linux box that needs the settings changed since I can get to the internet with another windows machine on the network

Things to check on the linux side...

Are you getting an IP from DHCP?

[email protected]# ifconfig

eth0	  Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr <removed for security>
		inet addr:10.0.0.131  Bcast:10.0.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0

Is there a default route?

[email protected]# route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination	 Gateway		 Genmask		 Flags Metric Ref	Use Iface
10.0.0.0		*			   255.255.255.0   U	 0	  0		0 eth0
loopback		*			   255.0.0.0	   U	 0	  0		0 lo
default		 10.0.0.253	  0.0.0.0		 UG	0	  0		0 eth0

Can you ping the default route gateway? (this should be the windows box with Internet Connection Sharing enabled)

Can you ping the ISP router? (the default router on the windows box)

Does the Windows box have a software firewall enabled?