Upgrade To 512mb Card? Or Add 256mb For Sli?

emissary

Hi All,

Given the spec in my sig, can anyone advise me as to what would be the best course of action regarding upgrading graphics cards?

I have spent a fair whack on my setup and right now cant justify moving to a Conroe based setup due to the stupidly high prices and the fact that I would essentially have to change my entire system.

I have 2 choices from what I can see, based on the fact that I am running an Abit Fatal1ty An8 sli board I cannot get an 8800 gpu as it requires higher spec pci express lanes, correct?

This then leaves the option of going for either an Ati 512mb X1950XT or an Nvidia 512mb 7900GTX (if I can find one) OR get an additional 7900GT 256mb to complement the one I have already.

What would be best? Bear in mind I play games such as Fear, GRAW, Quake 4, Oblivion etc. I want to make my system last as long as possible and right now I feel I have at least another year in it, 2 tops. Or am I fooling myself?

A lot of reviews I have read are leaning towards an Ati x1950xt, would this give good performance on an nf4 sli mobo, a single card as opposed to 2x256 7900gt in sli? I also only utilise a max resolution of 1280x1024, so I would be looking for a card that can run at max aa settings etc.

Thanks for any help,

emissary.

Edited by emissary

First of all, a lot of what you have probably read about PCIe lanes is hype. There are people around here who can explain it to you in a lot better detail, but basically it usually doesn't make that big of a difference. Keep that in mind.

As far as your upgrade path, I think you're a PERFECT candidate for another 7900gt. The 7900gt is a great card, and two of them should do everything you'll ask of them for a LONG time, especially if you're limited to 1280res. Considering that the 7900gt's are getting closer and closer to the $200 mark, it will be a relatively cheap upgrade too.

First of all, a lot of what you have probably read about PCIe lanes is hype. There are people around here who can explain it to you in a lot better detail, but basically it usually doesn't make that big of a difference. Keep that in mind.

As far as your upgrade path, I think you're a PERFECT candidate for another 7900gt. The 7900gt is a great card, and two of them should do everything you'll ask of them for a LONG time, especially if you're limited to 1280res. Considering that the 7900gt's are getting closer and closer to the $200 mark, it will be a relatively cheap upgrade too.

Just what I was thinking regarding price, I can get an evga 7900gt co 256mb for

you might have to disable AA for TR:L to work with Next-Gen with an nV7 card... i run it at 1600x1200, Next-Gen On, AA disabled with my 7800GT SLi... it's quite a tough game graphically in parts (motorbike chase alongside train in the snow; the pool in Croft Manor) but 7900GT SLi would handle it with ease at 1600x1200

7900GT SLi would run everything with ease @ 1280x1024...