Multiplier Vs Fsb

billt

Planning a new system with ASUS P5B Deluxe, E6600, Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4 800MHz (PC2-6400) DRAM, aftermarket CPU cooler, and P180. I would like to moderately overclock; nothing radical.

I have studied many overclocking articles (I promise!) but still have these questions:

Is it better to overclock the FSB modestly to 333, keep the default 9 multiplier, and end up with 3GHz CPU, even though 800MHz memory will be running under 1:1 [or in that set up should I save money and go with DDR2-667 (PC-5400)], or

Is it better to raise FSB to 400, so can run DRAM at 1:1, and lower multiplier to 7 or 8 to get a more sedate CPU speed?

And something else; I don

well in most cases i think people right now like more fsb for memory speed then less.

also i do belive intel multipliers are hard locked, meaning you cant change them at all, unlike amd's upper locked, were you can lower but not raise the multi

well in most cases i think people right now like more fsb for memory speed then less.

also i do belive intel multipliers are hard locked, meaning you cant change them at all, unlike amd's upper locked, were you can lower but not raise the multi

the p4s were, core 2s are the same as amds, top locked