Router Or Modem?

airman

okay so i get home last night...and i'm having internet issues. pretty much just won't connect/etc, or access/ping my modem's internal page.

as far as my LAN goes...from computer to computer it's as fast as ever. no problems there. when i bypass the router, as in connect the modem straight to the computer, i have no problems at all. but again as soon as i go through the router [atleast the way i have it rigged right now with all the settings] i have some pretty bad packet loss externally. again, no problems from computer to computer.

considering i can get on the net normally through my router and modem together (with considerable packet loss...about 15% or so)...but i can't ping/access the modem's internal config page, what does it mean? bad modem or router? unfortunately i don't have any other equipment to swap out to check.

do the MTU settings of the router match those of the modem? if they were mismatched, that could explain some packet issues... something to check out i guess since MTU size varies from one ISP to another...

it's a brand new router...wrt54g v6...couldn't imagine something going wrong with it so soon. i put the dd-wrt v23 sp2 micro firmware on it which rocks about 3 weeks ago. had no problems until last night. just to try i've been wanting to flash back to the original firmware but i can't find a utility that will allow me to do so.

mtu settings are both 1400.

the modem is a cheapo one that charter gave us. i called up charter last night and they said they were having problems in our area but that wouldn't explain the inability to ping the modem from behind the router. i do know the DNS server addresses have changed and i had to adjust that in my router's settings, as well as doing a mac address clone [clone the mac address of my computer on my router] and i believe that helped a bit too. i can ping any other site outside the router, which is funny considering i can't ping the modem.

EDIT: changed MTU back to 1500 and turned down the xmit power of my wireless broadcast. [another reason why i love dd-wrt firmwares. i was told if it was set too high the router would keep rebooting itself] now i can ping my modem and i'm not having any loss. just an occasional spike. i think this is solved. i'll post back if i have any more problems.