Vertical Hard Drives

Makaveli

LoArmistead, when some of my friends bring me a "dead" HDD to see if I could get stuff off of it, I just turn the comp off and plug it in and let it dangle in the case with the molex as well. I thought that I was the only one that did that stunt.

Ok, so I have a SilverStone TJ-06 case and the hard drive rack is horizontal, so the hard drives sit vertically. I'm planning on getting a few new hard drives this holiday season. Now, I've heard that some hard drives can't operate if they are vertical, or their lives get cut down significantly. Is this true? If so, what hard drive brands, or models specifically that have this issue?

Some propriety system builders mount their HDD's vertically, with the underside flush to the back of the front bezel... personally, I think that's a bad idea quite simply as it impedes air flow which you want/need to keep the HDD cool, in fact in this particular HP Intel box I'm thinking of the Maxtor drive actually failed due to overheating :(

Some propriety system builders mount their HDD's vertically, with the underside flush to the back of the front bezel... personally, I think that's a bad idea quite simply as it impedes air flow which you want/need to keep the HDD cool, in fact in this particular HP Intel box I'm thinking of the Maxtor drive actually failed due to overheating :(

I'm not worried about cooling in my case. There is a power supply sitting on top of the rack and it is blowing air down (there are tons of holes on the top and bottom side of the HDD rack) and then I have 2 120mm exhaust fans taking all that hot air out. Plus, the temps are good for me in HDD Health.

You have a power supply blowing air INTO the case? That must be one messed up power supply as nearly all of them blow air OUT of the case (the ones who don't are those fanless types)

No it has an exhaust fan on the back and a 120mm fan on top blowing air out. I have the power supply sitting upside down (supposed to sit upside down in my case) and that makes the 120mm upside down and it blows air down through the hard drive rack. Trust me, there is no problem lol.