Remote Connect To A Router

CheeseMan42

I want to do a kind of remote desktop from the academic side of campus to the residential side of campus, but I am behind a router and am therefore unsure of how to do this. Should I just find out the IP of my router and connect to that? I want to do this because it would probably be easier to transfer files this way instead of email.

If you want to connect to your machine in your dorm then you'll either need to set up an FTP server and configure your router (residential) to forward FTP requests to the internal IP address of the FTP machine. Or you could get a VPN router for your dorm so you can connect directly to your network using a secure VPN connection.

Also keep in mind that if you're in a dorm, then you're probably on the campus network. If that's the case, they will probably block incoming FTP requests. If you're FTPing from a PC that's also on the same network, then you might have a shot, but it'll depend on how picky the network people are. When I was in the dorms at college, I could not put up an FTP server because the service was blocked.

Without having access to the school's switch/router/firebox it's not going to happen. Odds are you don't have your own external IP address. Thus, I suggest using Hamachi to set up a virtual VPN (yes, I know calling it that is redundant, but if you have used Hamachi, I think you know why I say that).

So you're saying its most likely not going to happen to connect to a router but it would work to connect to a single machine not behind a router? I don't really feel like spending a lot of time to do it, I thought it might have been an easy fix. And I live in an on campus apartment, not that it makes a difference, but it is so much nicer than the dorms :)

Well the thing is, it doesn't really matter where you live. What matters is if you're on the campus network. If you are, then it's almost 100% that they'll block all incoming FTP requests (probably SSH, telnet, HTTP, etc too). So it won't have anything to do with whether or not you use a router, because they definately do and it'll be blocked before it gets to yours. The only hope if you're on a campus network is that if you're connecting from a computer on the same network, then it's all behind the firewall already and you may be able to connect to your home PC, since you're never actually going through the firewall. If you did that, you'd definately need to write down your IP address, since you won't be able to get a DNS listing with the network.

If your apartment has some other internet provider, then you probably can do it fairly easily. Do you know where you get your network service from?

IF the academic side and residential side are on the same network, then you MAY be able to RDC/VPN/FTP, IF the proper ports are allowed on the network. My campus network didn't block FTP, but I graduated in 2003....times have changed, and even back then, my school took a more don't-ask-don't-tell policy than other schools.

The Hamachi thing I linked to is as simple as installing that little program on both computers.