Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld Resigns

LoArmistead

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that this was fairly interesting. Take it with a grain of salt I guess but definitely worth reading. I won't get verbally violent but I'm so dang glad to see the "thumpin'."

I got halfway through the first sentence and stopped reading. The word "firing" discredits the article. I'll not only leave the article, but it can keep its grain of salt too. :bah:

EDIT: I decide to give the article a chance...until I get to "Ding dong the witch is dead." If I didn't know any better I'd say the guy was out to prove a point :lol:

I wouldn't expect anything more from you lo.

I know, I know. But if it makes you feel better, I did read it.

Here's my personal favorite:

N.Y., N.Y.: Can this be seen as a way to protect Rumsfeld from being accused of war crimes?

William M. Arkin: Come on...

ROFFELMAYO :lol:

I've got my fingers crossed that the democrats only give the Bush administration some public chastising. Embarrassing the Bush administration would be a lot easier and more effective. Getting caught up in a huge war between the parties (and branches of government I guess) would hurt the country and the democratic party too much. If they can make the right decisions and not get bogged down beating on the Bush administration, the democrats could gain a lot of favor.

I just noticed your Lincoln quote lo; don't you think that quote was made at a time when the U.S. was not a global super power and held to a policy of isolationism. That said, at that time, war was assumed to be in defense of the country (i.e. life and death for the U.S.) and not a preemptive attack on a nation on the other side of the world with virtually no capacity to do serious harm to the U.S. Your quote seems extremely out of context considering the type of war the U.S. fights in Iraq.

Edited by agentorange

I just noticed your Lincoln quote lo; don't you think that quote was made at a time when the U.S. was not a global super power and held to a policy of isolationism. That said, at that time, war was assumed to be in defense of the country (i.e. life and death for the U.S.) and not a preemptive attack on a nation on the other side of the world with virtually no capacity to do serious harm to the U.S. Your quote seems extremely out of context considering the type of war the U.S. fights in Iraq.

I see what you're saying, but I don't see what any of that has to do with the validity of Lincoln's quote? :blink:

Regardless of whether or not we are isolationist or in direct danger from the enemy, congressmen's statements still affect the morale of the troops just like they did 140 years ago. The quote is in reference to troop morale. Even though they are halfway across the world fighting, when John Kerry calls them "baby killers and women rapers," it doesn't always make them feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Getting caught up in a huge war between the parties (and branches of government I guess) would hurt the country
agent, that is the most intelligent, well thought out thing I've ever heard you say. kudos. Hold on while I savor this moment....

....annnnnd the moments gone.

I wasn't trying to invalidate Lincoln's statement; I absolutely agree with him but only under the context of a war that directly affects the existence of the U.S. (say the entire world vs. the U.S. as a ridiculous example).

I also agree that congress can affect the morale of troops abroad. But also remember that a lot of their criticism is directed at the leadership and architects of the war, not the military itself. The military is like an extremely powerful gun. Responsibility for its control lies with the person holding the gun, not the gun itself. Congress is just doing what anti-gun people would do if they were reasonable; going after the source. This in turn does affect the morale of the troops because it exposes flaws in their implementation and thus indicates that their lives may be wasted.

Hey, that metaphor even allowed me to get on my 2nd amendment-supporting soap box. That was a two-for!

Edited by agentorange

Well.. Kash.. Democrats are in control of Congress completely. :P Let's hope your theory of things looking up actually materializes.

I was being dead serious. After reading Bob Woodward's book State of Denial, you REALLY start to hate Rumsfeld... :angry2:

So far the election in Virginia looks to be favoring the Dems by a little over 6,000 votes. It's still very close to call as Fairfax City hasn't reported in yet. Though I have hope since Fairfax tends to lean Democratic. Man, if we manage to get Democratic control in both House and Senate, things should be looking up for at least the next two years.