Just Signed Up!

iKillSteal

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The box for the internet is in our front yard and I took a peak in it once. All the phone lines connect to a central hub which then has a big wire(fiber op, I think) leading out of the back. It's also got a bunch of blinking lights that flash when a certain line is in use(I tested this by calling our home phone with my cell phone, it also freaks out when somebody is using the internet). I'm just making guesses based on what I saw, and I saw it all connected to one thingy. If I'm wrong, it wouldn't be the first time but that's that forums like this are for so please, correct me if I'm wrong(which I probably am).

That's interesting. Well DSL is supposed to be regulated by your Telco company, and they should guarantee whatever speed you're paying for

You're probably right. I'll call the company and complain this weekend. We'll see how it goes, maybe if we threaten to switch they'll do something...

Edit: I thought this was just gonna be one of those "Hi, I'm..." topics but this has blown up into a discussion. First 2 days on and already people are helping me solve my problems. :lol:

Edited by iKillSteal

You're probably right. I'll call the company and complain this weekend. We'll see how it goes, maybe if we threaten to switch they'll do something...

Edit: I thought this was just gonna be one of those "Hi, I'm..." topics but this has blown up into a discussion. First 2 days on and already people are helping me solve my problems. :lol:

lol :lol:

Well this is off of Yahoo's FAQ page:

Cable Modems

An alternative Internet connection is possible through your cable television line, which has been upgraded to carry data in two directions. Unfortunately, you share your Internet connection with your neighborhood using this method, so there is a possibility of slowdowns during peak-use periods.

DSL Modems

DSL technology provides a dedicated service over an existing local connection to our central offices. With this connection, you don't have to share local access with other users.

[back to top]

How fast is DSL?

AT&T Yahoo! High Speed Internet is offered in several packages with download speeds ranging from 384kbps to 3.0 Mbps. Through an AT&T Yahoo! High Speed Internet connection you have the ability to download files and surf the Internet at very high speeds. Exact throughput speeds experienced will vary based on several factors, including the distance between your home and our central office, the condition of your line, traffic on the Internet, and the performance of servers hosting web sites you visit.

I don't know if that's what you have, but DSL is DSL...the definitions/explanations shouldn't change.

Hmm, maybe it has to do with the hub looking thingy. Anyway, all I know is that our connection is always at it's slowest(even while my mom isn't streaming) betwixt about 12pm through 7pm. I can only assume that those are the peak usage hours in my neighborhood. It's pretty responsive before or after those times, provided that my mom isn't streaming which she is even as I post this message, but for those 7ish hours, it's AOL dial-up all over again :ph34r: We've had it from 1999 to 2004 before we got dsl...

On a side note, does anybody know the max amount of data that a fibre op line could transmit? Just curious and there isn't any info about it on wiki...

Edited by iKillSteal

Hmm, maybe it has to do with the hub looking thingy. Anyway, all I know is that our connection is always at it's slowest(even while my mom isn't streaming) betwixt about 12pm through 7pm. I can only assume that those are the peak usage hours in my neighborhood. It's pretty responsive before or after those times, provided that my mom isn't streaming which she is even as I post this message, but for those 7ish hours, it's AOL dial-up all over again :ph34r: We've had it from 1999 to 2004 before we got dsl...

On a side note, does anybody know the max amount of data that a fibre op line could transmit? Just curious and there isn't any info about it on wiki...

A fiber op line (if there is one) running to a router/hub/whatever infront of your apt/house would not be a bottleneck imho

Anyways, I see youre a fellow european-born traveler like me :D:P

(hungary > switzerland > all over europe for a few months > USA > canada)

You should try and see how other peoples internet connection is in your neighbourhood, and stuff, i dunno :P

I would try calling them tho, even if its just for crap and giggles, you might get a few questions answered