Monitor Just Cuts Off?

Welp, one of the folding rigs has an interesting problem. I put a 9600xt in it a couple of weeks ago, and ever since then it's been having this problem where it will randomly shut the monitor off. The computer stays running, but the monitor just goes black and the 'orange light of doom' comes on. The only way to get the display back up is to do a hard restart on the computer. I've tried to see if the blacking-out monitor is due to anything that is being done ont he computer, but as far as i can tell, it's random.

Specs: (POS compaq prebuilt)

AMD64 754 3400+

1GB PC3200

9600xt

250gb sata

asus AGP mobo (not even the x200 ATi vchipset)

Any ideas? At first I thought maybe the card was overheating, but it isn't. Then I figured windows might have it set to turn monitor off after 'x' minutes, and it just won't come back on...that didn't work either. I've tried it with the catalyst 5.10's and the 5.13's, DX 9C is installed, I am just beginning to think this is going to be a newegg return.

I have not. It didn't start doing that till I installed the new card...but it may very well be the monitor. I got this computer at costco because it was so cheap. To be honest with you, the monitor looked like a refurb when I puilled it out of the box... The power button is messed up, and it already had a dead pixel (it's an HP VS17). I'll go test the monitor on another rig.

I have not.  It didn't start doing that till I installed the new card...but it may very well be the monitor.  I got this computer at costco because it was so cheap.  To be honest with you, the monitor looked like a refurb when I puilled it out of the box... The power button is messed up, and it already had a dead pixel (it's an HP VS17).  I'll go test the monitor on another rig.

611735[/snapback]

well one dead pixel out of the box isn't that uncommon...most dead pixels occur before you get the monitor, in shipping/transportation of it, from the jostling. But yeah, check it out. It may not be the monitor, but testing a monitor out on another computer is as easy a process as it gets. I think most of us here have multiple computers in our households, and you don't even have to turn your comptuer off to switch monitors (I've done it a lot at work).

Let us know :)