Need Help Configuring Dns!

kurosen

Hey guys, I just got my hands on kurosen.com through Yahoo and want to set up the DNS to point to a web server on my ip address that is already configured (if you type in http://**ip address** it takes you to the homepage I want). The problem is they are asking for a primary and secondary address. I only have my one static IP address and it won't accept just one in the DNS settings page. I realize that if the one IP address I have goes down, the site goes down and I'm not too concerned as it isn't a mission critical website or anything. I just wanna know what info I have to put in for primary and secondary DNS to get kurosen.com pointing to the server on my IP address. Thanks guys :)

On a seperate note, I don't completely understand DNS settings in general, how could two different DNS addresses belong to one server?

Oh its asking for the primary DNS server and the secondary DNS server. I think what you need to do is use a DNS service. For instance....

You buy your domain name. It will ask for DNS servers to look at to resolve the name to an IP. With some places they don't give you DNS services to do that, so you need to either pay extra for it, or find a free solution. Zoneedit is free, and easy to understand and setup.

This will let you say, kurosen.com -> IP address. Zoneedit will give you 2 DNS server addresses (primary and secondary) you will put in for the settings of your domain name from the company you purchased it from.

So essentially the traffic will follow.

domain name -> DNS Server(zoneedit) -> your webserver

I missed this when I first setup my webpage a long time ago, and the people I bought my domain name from, wanted to charge extra for the DNS service. I hope this makes sense.