Bfg Nvidia Geforce 5500

viralSHARK

Alright so i got my new computer parts a while ago, and i thought i could re-use an old celeron processor, cant its old and shot, anyway, i got a BFG Nvidia Geforce Fx 5500 for $150 (its cost at the time of purchase) and i'm wondering if its any good. ALSO, if anyone knows, my friend just got an Ati Radeon x700 PRO (agp 4x/8x) And its really . good, it runs half life 2 at max perfectly, doom 3 at highest very well, guild wars perfectly, everquset 2 on high settings very well, and lots of other games very well. If anyone can tell me what my card would be compared to his, i'd be very thankful, and you would have my boomstick

you've got some pretty low standards...

the 5500 for 150 is a terrible deal. IT is a low-end card and you will not be happy with it. The x700 pro is not as good as you say. Maybe max settings on 800x600, but it is a pretty mid-range card. In short, the 5500 is NOT any good. The whole 5 series was one of nVidia's big screw-ups.

If you're wanting a new cheapish card, look at the 6600GT, they're pretty decent performers for not a lot of money. Much better than both of the cards you mentioned.

The X700 PRO really isn't impressive, just one of those cards you buy when you need to.

its my first time building anyway, i'm not to worry though, i feel i've done okay for myself since i dont have a job, my whole rig all together was under $500.

As for the Ati x700 i was talking about, i've actually seen myself firsthand, him running Half Life 2, Guild Wars, Unreal Tournament 2k4, Tribes Vengeance, and Doom 3 all on the highest setttings without any problems. The box for the card says works best for half life 2, but from what i've seen its more than that. I trust all your judgements though, and are much appreciated.

But now i have another problem with my motherboard, i probably shouldnt post about it here, but i got my new processor (celeron D 2.1 ghz) and i put it all in and its working just fine, except for one thing, i get to where it should be booting into windows (xp loading bar and logo should appear), and it bluescreens everytime. XP is installed on the hard drive, and it runs just fine in my other computer. My motherboard is an Abit VT7 by the way. I've heard mixed things about the vt7, that its extremely unstable, then i heard very reliable and stable, so ahhh whaterver.....

thanks for the info about the 5500, but for around $200 or so can i get the video card you mentioned before? Or will the 5500 be at least good enough to play World Of Warcraft? (if i ever get my . pc working that is)

Thanks.

wow that celly d was a TOTAL waste of money, a 2.5 or better may have been an ok move, and while an x700pro does ok, it WILL NOT RUN hl2 maxed worth a dang, that is unless he runs on a 1024x768 LCD or some crap....while it will unbelieveable compared to the 5500, it's not a high end card.

try setting failsafe defaults in your bios and see if it boots.

back to the cards, the 5500 will play wow, but you wont get near the wow factor... and a 6600GT (little better than the x700pro 90% of the time) for $150ish

LOL seems nobody can beleive what i said about the x700 pro, but i swear i watched, and played on his computer when he was running it at max settings. He has a basic HP computer he bought from compusa i think, then he bought an extra gig of ram (totalling 1500 some) but he only has a 2.4 ghz cpu. Idk what it is but it really is running quite well for him.

Also i tried the failsafe defaults and that didnt do anything either. The version of XP installed isnt what i'd call a typical installation. My old Emachines T1115 came with a xp restore cd, that i just swap hard drives in and out of to install windows on them. Maybe that could be a reason why it isnt working, like installs windows that will only work when it detects the emachines hardware..... who knows

emachines is . anyway

I need a job

EDIT: the "celly d" was (if so) only a waste of $64.50 off newegg. I guess i should mention i'm only 17 and i dont have a job, so my budget on my computer is REALLY TIGHT. I spend under $500 on this thing. Anyway i still dont know what the hell to do to get it working.....

Edited by viralSHARK

Yeah for that much $$$ on a CPU you could have got a skt 754 2600+ sempron that would stomp all but MAYBE the highest Celeron D, and that's b4 you get the very easy to do on stock cooling OC to 2.4ghz (1.6 stock) And i did all that with a friends's $60 Epox mobo. Oh and PC 2700 value ram. he spent $80 i think it was for a 9700pro with ATI silencer. $60 for Aspire X-dreamer II case...no performce power house, but it wouldnt have any problems competing with most any system at low res even on new games (he played hl2 med/high combo @1024x768 ok

As for the x700pro....LoArmistead has one, i am good friends with him, i have seen it run on a similar HP setup (btw it's a Athlon 64 CPU in the other one and considering 2.4ghz it SHOULD be a 3400+) i think his was a 3200+...idk check his sig if you really want to know. and though the x700pro plays nicely, it's not anywhere near the quality of the cards that really DO run hl2 maxed nicely. granted if your used to a 5500 and a celeron it doent take much to impress :lol: i used to run a 2.5 celeron @ 2.96ghz and a 5200 PCI in my main rig. it sucked, moving to a 2.66 P4 at stock i saw a 25-35 fps increase in Battlefield 1942 (by the time the P4 got here i had a 9600pro).

You dont exactly have the ideal setup to work with, and most ppl here dont under stand the power of a budget system, but @ 17 you COULD get a job, and make a little money that you can slowly build up and get a system that you can be proud of, even if others think you have a "wimpy sempron" to them i say, it's a kickass CPU for the price, the celeron Ds on the other hand do NOT impress me. (hell i have no real use for these reg celerons anymore, but when i bought them the celeron D/sempron werent even being discussed. )

eventually i wanna just save up a good $1500 and get myself a nice rig for college, but for now i think i'm just gonna pitch up with my mom to get a pre-built system or something. I'm thinking this

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_in...6317&pfp=BROWSE

$800, still has space for a ram upgrade (i can use my 512 stick) and an available AGP slot (good for if i want to get a video card later on. Its cheap too, i figure we both pitch up $400, we should be able to get it or something better by the time we're ready

thanks for all your input though, i'm new to forums in general, never really understood them, but i think i'm gonna try to post here @ OCC a lot more :D

Edit: you're probably right, i'm not used to being around really high end machines so the x700 probably does look FANTASTIC to me and my friend. If it runs smooth without any chug, it looks great to me

Edited by viralSHARK

EDIT: the "celly d" was (if so) only a waste of $64.50 off newegg. I guess i should mention i'm only 17 and i dont have a job, so my budget on my computer is REALLY TIGHT. I spend under $500 on this thing. Anyway i still dont know what the hell to do to get it working.....

544974[/snapback]

This has nothing to do with this, but I am 13 and my comp cost me, lets see.....well, around $1300, if not more (just comp no accessories)