Amd Vs Intel: The Chips Are Down

The competition between the chip rivals has escalated into a full-blown legal spat which only one company will walk away from with its reputation intact

This week the gloves came off in the struggle between up-and-coming chipmaker AMD and market leader Intel. AMD filed a lawsuit against Intel in the US courts accusing the chipmaker of anticompetitive practices.

What does AMD say Intel's done?

AMD says that Intel has misused its 90 percent market share to lock it out of the business, primarily by persuading major OEMs such as HP, Dell and IBM to restrict the number of AMD-based products in their line-up, or even exclude them entirely.

Why would these companies listen to Intel?

Intel makes no secret of various sweeteners it offers to companies, such as funding product development, paying for marketing and straightforward discounts in exchange for guaranteed sales. AMD says that Intel also uses 'first dollar' discounts, threatens to withhold supplies if AMD based products are sold or marketed, and put pressure on distributors and retailers to with

First dollar?

This is where Intel pays an OEM cash equivalent to around ten percent of the chip price for every chip bought, but only when the company hits a certain level of purchases. That level, says AMD, is set to limit AMD's sales to a small percentage of the total. If the OEM buys more AMD parts and doesn't hit the Intel discount trigger, they lose a large chunk of cash

Old news, and yes, old news. :bah: Intel and AMD has been filing lawsuits at eachother for the longest time and this is nothing new.

"What happens if AMD wins?"

Hopeful words, but red's stated already that Intel's legal force is one of the most powerful in the world. AMD dosn't stand a chance, unless they have one hell of a legal team consisting of God(or Satan)-like lawyers who have every law of every state/providence of every country by heart and know one hell of a lot of loopholes...

And even then, AMD's chances are slim, I'm sorry to admit.

yeah pretty sure intel is gonna win, I mean I love intel, Ill prolly always end up getting intel, since I dont really do a WHOLE lot of gaming, and do alot of multitasking, but if AMD won, I dont think it'd change things too much.

but supposubly intel is making a new chip based on the pentium m yes it's older news but thats good, since it means they are gonna finallly make some competing chips