Need Parental Advice

bigred

well the little one has figured out doors. I watched him do it 3 times this morning. he walked right upto the front door and opened it! now you'll forgive me for asking this about the second child, but we adopted our daughter when she was 3, she's going on 5 now... so I missed out on this stage of doing things.

anyhow I'm REALLY worried about him doing this. we've got some less than safe things in the neighborhood in colorado. First and foremost is the colorado river, bears, wolves, coyotes, cattle, horses, the woods to get lost in, and the occasional trucks driving thru this area.

so I need some method of stopping him from opening the door and wandering outside. I've already scolded him and punished him for it. but in hind sight that doesn't seem right. he watches everyone else open the door and leave the house as they please :(

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Humm maybe some locks placed higher up on the doors? bc well i assuem youve tried locking them :lol:

I really dont know, being 18 myself, i dotn know too much about kids that age either...there's always Ductape.

you can sit down with him and basically tell him that he HAS to ask you before opening the door. if that doesnt work you could alwayz super glue the door shut ... or, just put something heavy in the way of the door so that the door wont open if he tries.

There are those annoying plastic covers for door knobs that will make it just spin in his hand. Couple that with a) having a talk with him about the door and what's outside, or if he doesn't understand, then b) give him a more stern talking to.

I am not a father so this is just an opinion. You could put one of those 3 or 4 inch door chains high up on the door so it only opens a little ways and since he is small he wouldn't be tall enough to reach it. That would probably be the best way, but you could also do the cheap alarm idea where the alarm sounds when he opens the door so that when he does open the door and go outside you know it so you can monitor and watch him to make sure he stays safe.