Moving Work To Raid 0

skibar350

I have always run raid but had to RMA drives due to failure. I will be setting up my raid again when my new drives get back this week and was wondering if there is a way to save work units from this temp drive op to the new Raid? I also have another that is just an e-machine 600mhz p3 and was wondering if I should fold with it using the switches:

forceasm-

advmethods-

or just regalor install?

Just for note: I also have another pc Athlon XP 1700+ that does really good folding. I think better than any I have seen because it runs smooth and steady. But is my daughters comp and I would like to now how much extra electric cost should you expect just running a 400watt power supply, montior and that is about it? Would it cost less to change the power supply to like a 350watt or would it matter since she draws the same amount of juice either way?

Thanks and :foldon:

I would suggest using the -forceasm flag. This ensures that the program uses the highly optimized code (i.e. much faster processing) in case of an improper shutdown/restart. Normally the highly optimized routines are on by default, but if the core shuts down improperly, say due to a power outage, and then restarts, it will automatically turn off the optimized routines unless you use the -forceasm flag. On a stable system like yours, there is a good idea.

The -advmethoda flag is up to you. This just tells Stanford you are willing to accept newer proteins that are still in beta. There is no real advantage in using this flag unless you also turn on big workunits and then you may (but no guarantee) receive some of the newer work units that have temporary bonus values assigned to them.

As to the cost of folding on your daughter's computer, you're looking at $5-$10.month extra electricity cost in folding 24/7 on it and I don't think there is any real cost savings involved between a 350W and 400W PSU. Your computer is only going to use the amount of power it needs, so switching to a lower rated supply doesn't save you anything. Your biggest cost savings would come from turning off the monitor when it is not needed.