Amd 3800+

Hey. I am building a computer for my cousin. He has put his foot down on the 3800+ AMD. I was just wondering if you think the Venice or the other one is better. I just for got the other one's name. If you could say which one is better and why that would be great. Thanks

The 3800+ Venice will be just fine. The Venice core is just a better version of the winnie core. The best core performance wise seems to be the San Diego, but they don't have a 3800+ version of it that I know of. For best performance I would recommend he get a 3700+ San Diego rather than the 3800+ Venice.

The 3800+ Venice will be just fine. The Venice core is just a better version of the winnie core. The best core performance wise seems to be the San Diego, but they don't have a 3800+ version of it that I know of. For best performance I would recommend he get a 3700+ San Diego rather than the 3800+ Venice.

496741[/snapback]

What is so special about the San Diego. Besides the 3700+ is 754 and that is being phased out.

What is so special about the San Diego. Besides the 3700+ is 754 and that is being phased out.

496743[/snapback]

Wrong the 3700+(SD) is s939. There really isn't a whole lot of physical difference between the Venice and San Diego other than the San Diego has a 1mb of L2 cache, but for some reason from what I have seen the SD seems to score better than the Venice. Honestly I say go with whichever of the two is cheaper. If the 3800(Venice) is cheaper then get it or if the 3700(SD) is cheaper than get it.

Wrong the 3700+(SD) is s939. There really isn't a whole lot of physical difference between the Venice and San Diego other than the San Diego has a 1mb of L2 cache, but for some reason from what I have seen the SD seems to score better than the Venice. Honestly I say go with whichever of the two is cheaper. If the 3800(Venice) is cheaper then get it or if the 3700(SD) is cheaper than get it.

496760[/snapback]

I thought it was 754. Obviously you can tell I didn't do y homework on the 3700+. I only studied the others like 3500+, 3800+, and 4000+

There is a 3700+ s754. That is where you seem to be getting confuzed. There are two different 3700's, one is s754 and the other is s939.

There is a 3700+ s754. That is where you seem to be getting confuzed. There are two different 3700's, one is s754 and the other is s939.

496767[/snapback]

dang i missed it. I just assumed that if one of them was, then the other one would be.

There is a 3700+ (skt 754) Clawhammer core. From what I've read some socket 754 chips outperform 939 chips on real world experience, not benchmarks though. For some reason I'm always seeing problems with some cores, AMD keeps making different cores with the same pin arrangments.

1st core that came out for 64bit AMD was the Clawhammer, If I am going to upgrade Athlon64, it's definitely going to be a Clawhammer.

I keep eyeing that 3700+ clawhammer on newegg, its so dirt cheap and people are saying that they're so fast.

If I go socket 939, It would have to be the 3500+ or 4000+.

There is a 3700+ (skt 754) Clawhammer core. From what I've read some socket 754 chips outperform 939 chips on real world experience, not benchmarks though. For some reason I'm always seeing problems with some cores, AMD keeps making different cores with the same pin arrangments.

1st core that came out for 64bit AMD was the Clawhammer, If I am going to upgrade Athlon64, it's definitely going to be a Clawhammer.

I keep eyeing that 3700+ clawhammer on newegg, its so dirt cheap and people are saying that they're so fast.

If I go socket 939, It would have to be the 3500+ or 4000+.

496771[/snapback]

But as you know the 754 is not as upgradeable as the 939. So the question is y go with 754?

You should only go with 754 if you are on a really tight budget. Of course, if that is the case, then you would be looking at the Sempron line rather than the Athlon64s. For future upgradability and the latest mobo features, I would suggest you go with socket 939 on a nForce4 motherboard such as the DFI LanParty UT NF4 or a MSI K8N Neo4