Wd 80gb Hdd Problems!

Vampire

We recently got a new HDD, A Western Digital, I knew them as being a quality brand as many people including the seller we got it from recommended them. Well we put it in as a slave (the master only being a 10gb IBM HDD) and it was fine, BUT it only read it as being about 8 gb instead of about 76-80 (or thereabouts). So I thought i would restart windows (ME) to see if it would detect it as being the correct size, but instead the icon dissappeared and now its like it doesnt even know its there. I took it out and put it back in making sure the connections were ok but still no luck. It seemed that the bios was reading it but windows wasnt. Is the HDD too big for my P3 550mhz with 128 RAM? I have a Windows ME O/S and would really need some help. I hope its just a faulty drive because we are getting a new one, but any suggestions?

Use FDisk to see if the full capacity of the disk is not being used. If this is the case just remove the small partition and create a larger one.

It might be a setting in your BIOS (though your BIOS is picking up the correct size), post the settings here.

Mike