To All In Wonder Or Not To All In Wonder

ok so i got this ati radeon all in wonder 9600 and it is very nice for all the features it has(totaly different for instalation from a nvidia card) and this thing isent scoring the way i like heres wat it gets:

3dmark01 - 11k

3dmark03 - 2685

3dmark05 - < 1500

are these scores what i can expect to happen to any video card when it is integrated with a tv tunner?

is there anything i can do for the cooling on these cards (other than puting on new thermal gell)?

would i score alot better if i just got the normal card and then bought some tv tunner?

if so do you have any to recomend that are good?

thx in advance if u can help

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AIW cards perform the same as their non AIW brothers of the same type, post your system specs, if you are running a socket A amd chip or pentium 4, sub 3ghz at stock speeds those scores would be about right or even fairly good for a non pro 9600

im runing an amd board with a axp 2700+

1 gig of ddr400 ram

2x 250gbhdd

1x 40gb hdd

nforcc2 ecs mb

410w pws

would it be overkill to buy a ati aiw x800xt from newegg?

i plan to up to a VERY much more powerfull mb/cpu combo preaferabley from amd in the near future

btw i bought this card 4 like 130 the site sed it was a xt edition i feel riped off now i dident even get a remote ;(

thx for ur help btw

If you've got the cash its NEVER overkill to buy an x800, lol, but as you suggest it would take a faster system to show it at it's best, with your current system the CPU/bus speed would be the bottleneck with that card. As it is your 9600xt is working about right ( I used to get 12300 in 01 at stock clock speeds with my A64 system and a 9600xt) and will be pretty much fine for most modern games at medium settings, hell, what do you want for $130.00 <_< , it's a good card for the money. Try overclocking it a bit using ATITOOL, the AIW cards often use better quality Samsung memory and therefore are normally good for an extra 10% at least!

I must say, I cannot understand why people buy the 9600xt range when the much faster (but older) 9700 pro based cards are selling so cheaply s/hand.

Edited by guzzidom

ok so now i have used ati tool on this thing my stock core/mem is 405/324

now this has no find da best overclock function in it (that i could find) so i just found my max core first that came out at 559.64 so i hit find maz mem and i find it cant make my mem go any faster iv found without overclocking my core i can get the mem to about 475 but then the core wont budge so is there any particular way i should go about finding the best preformance? the 3dmark05 score is now about 2k

Yeah, well that is a bit of a problem with ati tool, it'll take your core to the max, then if you go straight into mem test it'll start artefacting quite quickly, try dropping your core back to a point where it will allow your memory to overclock ok, as with the 9600 range, an increased memory speed will give you more performance by far than clocking the core up, incidentally the 9600xt range should be 500 core and 300 (600ddr) memory which is probably why your core is overclocking so well. ATI tool isn't the be all and end all either, for instance, it will pick up one single artefact that you would never see, try setting 500 core and 450 mem and run 3dmark 03 and really study the screen, especially dark, plain areas for white spots or any obvious signs of problems and press ESC if you see any, then drop back 10 mhz and try again. A little artefacting doesn't actively harm your card and if YOU can't see them, no problem.

It does sound like your card is "underclocked" though.

When you say 390 are you quoting the figure as ddr, in which case it would be bad OR are you quoting it as sdr in which case you would double the figure to 740 which would be fantastic, as I say your figures should be (hopefully) 500 core and 300mhz otherwise known as 600mhz because your memory is ddr on that card (ATI tool will calculate it either way for you if you are confused)

Well it is if you tick the "show as ddr " box in the top r/h/s of the ATITool interface!, if the figures you are giving are ddr, that would make your earlier 475mhz overclock 950mhz! and that is at least 250 mhz higher than any o/c on that core I have ever heard of, if however that is the sdr figure (ie, already multiplied by 2) that is very poor because the XT reference should be 650mhz.

Post a screenie of your best mem o/c and I'll have a nosey at it.