Vmware Workstation

computergee

Theres a program called VMWare Workstation that lets you run an operating system inside of an operating system. Could this be a temporary solution to linux gamers? Instead of having to dual boot to play a game or use a windows app you could just launch this program and play it from there. Would that work?

vmware runs with a sacrifice in performance and has compatibility issues. That, along with being dificult to setup and expensive (last time I checked), makes programs like winex a better solution, IMO.

Dual boot is the best solution, though

They did a review in the latest Maximum PC magizine, they said it didnt really slow it down. They said the only problems they had were with sound artifacts, and if you just close the window it may screw up the operating system. Maybe they have improved it in the newer version? I already have it dual booted, (well right now my linux is kinda broken, but ill reinstall it later) I was just thinking this might be a little bit more convienent.

Edited by computergee

They did a review in the latest Maximum PC magizine, they said it didnt really slow it down. They said the only problems they had were with sound artifacts, and if you just close the window it may screw up the operating system. Maybe they have improved it in the newer version? I already have it dual booted, (well right now my linux is kinda broken, but ill reinstall it later) I was just thinking this might be a little bit more convienent.

442187[/snapback]

Was this review in maximum PC on an extremely high-end system? I wouldn't be surprised, considering the source :P

VMWare uses software rendering only... we were at a lan party and one of my friends thought he would try CS on it but it got maby 10FPS and he was left handed... Basically, it works, but not well...