P4 Northwood Oc

Well, I used CPUFSB to up the clock a bit, got it to 2650MHz, not much, but eh, works for me. Anyway, it's stable and all, the Tai Sol hs/fan I have supports any Northwood up to 3.06GHz, and the temp is usually @ or around 45C idle and around 55-60C full load. What I was wondering, could I push it up to 2.8GHz? (stock 2.6GHz) Yeah I know, test and find out, but I don't have the time to watch my cpu fizzle up. Also, in CPUFSB, is it normal when it tests the frequencies, for the cpu usage to go up to 100% and stay like that for about 20 secs? I'm assuming it is, but I need to be sure.

Thnx in advance for any tips.

i would be surprised if you couldnt do 2.8.  that is a small OC.  You may be able to get that to 3.2

407244[/snapback]

Thanks for your help.

May need better cooling.  55C with that small of a OC is almost scary.

407248[/snapback]

Twas like that before the oc anyway.

Hey man, my old rig was a 2.6c(NW) @ 3.3 with 1.6V and a 5:4 divider. But that was with PC3200 RAM and watercooling. You should see 3.0Ghz NO PROBLEM. Your RAM may limit you somewhat though above that.

But OVER 50C is a bit much. Do what you can to lower your temps first.

A good rule for P4 Ocing is keep it UNDER 50C and 1.7V.

And as Mr. Mcfly stated, GET some AS5. I would also suggest lapping the hsf if you're on a budget. Lapping and Arctic Silver alone should drop your temps 2-5C after it's burned in. But don't expect much more than that...it's a stock crappy aluminum HSF. The old HSF from my 2.6 is cooling a 1.4 now.(and still not very well...39C/47C) You might want to get a couple more fans too.

What kind of BIOS adjustments do you have on that mobo? Im not familiar with them.