Administer A Network Form A Terminal

asus

How do you do that.. i know you can have your server, say running windows 2003 , and i know there is softwere that is NOT remote desktop.. its like having your server on your regular compuer.. so when i want to change a member thats a part of the active directory.. insted of going to remote desktop, i can just do it through a program similar to the one on windows 2003..

!!

Thanks

I don't think you can control AD objects unless you're at the domain controller yourself, I've never done it any other way. If you need a way to remotely control it, install VNC.

http://www.realvnc.com

I use it at home for my personal file server. Works great, its like remote desktop, but better. And for any and all platforms. Works on linux, unix, etc.

well... i know you can do it the way i am saying.. i have tried realvnc and it wont work with ahh.. windows 2003.. it alwies says "not accepting connections" it works on XP though..

figured it out.. its a tool kit you use to connect to a domain like mine at 192.168.1.121 and or asus.local

what you can do is make remote ad consoles.

this should be done on the DC

go to start run

type in mmc hit enter

this will be a blank console

click on file

then add snapins

then the add button at the bottom

that will bring up a menu of all snap ins the server has. select the ones you want and hit ok.

then close the console and save it some where you can find it.

copy the console to your desktop and as long as you are logged in as a member of the domain you should be able to open the console from your desktop and then make any changes you need

I know that VNC works on Windows Advanced Server 2000- don't see any reason why it wouldn't work on 2003.

I agree, I think I've even used it on Win2k3 server and it worked fine. But then I just decided to use the built in remote desktop as its already in windows.

• 2 weeks later...

OK guys, straight from a Windows system administrator (Me) :D

On the windows server make sure you have terminal services installed. Microsoft allows you 2 connections for administrative tasks. This feature is installed by default on Windows 2003 Server. Once you have done that the next task is to get a copy of terminal services client which you can donload from microsofts website and install it on the computer you want to control the server from. Once you have done that and launch the program simply type in the name of the server. Some times you may have to use an IP address as the server to connect to.

Once you open a session simply type in the administrator acount information and you are in :)

You can do everything from this console just as if you were sitting at the machine. AC, Backups even reboot the server (you will lose connection).

Good luck let meknow if you have any questions