Install To Hd

NCC10281982B

I've manged to get overclockix to run from cd. Very cool BTW. The thing is now I need to get it to install to HD. I tried clicking to buttion to do that and it won't work. I have a 70+ gig partition and a 7 gig swap partition. I think it is mounted correctly but I can't really tell. The error is that the install requirments have not been met. Then the partition program launches. I have tried fat32 and ext3 for both partitions and linux swap for the swap partition.

Edit: When they say two partitions (install and swap) do they mean unformated, formated or what? And which FS?

You need to reformat it first o_0;

7 gigs of swap is far too much, the most you will need on that is 256, maybe 512 if you have like 64mb ram, and intend to run a graphical environment.

Second, from the looks of it at a quick glance, overclockix is a live cd. You should use Fedora or Slackware or something similar if you really want to put linux on your computer

Ditto. 7Gb of swap is just way too much. Think of it as the windows page file instead of a partition and you will have a good start on how it works. It is just alot more efficient than the swap methods from M$.. :) But the basic rule still applies.. you want about 2 (good) to 3(a little too much) times more swap space than RAM. This is flexable too... if you have 3 or 4 gigs of RAM, you could prolly match the size of your swap space instead of doubling it or tripling it.

Now lets look at the partition structure of linux for a sec.

Your install partion will be ext3 and your swap partion will be, well, swap space.

Typically, the 'install' partion is refering to where the root directory will be mounted too. Now, you can mount other partions, and other drives to different directories. In example, on one of my other computers, I have my root '/' (not /root) on hda0 and my /home directory on hdb0 both ext3, and also had a fat32 partion '/mnt/windoze' on a third hdd.

Getting down to it, the actual install requirements are easily bent, but that is all you need is one ext3 part, and a swap part, but that is not a -requirement- either! :)

You can install linux on dang near every file system, but I would stay away from NTFS or FAT if possible ... ;)