Witch Linux

Raptor

Personally, I don't like Gentoo Linux. (See my avatar tag).

Gentoo can be easy to install, depending on which stage you decide to try. Stage 3 pretty much has everything ready to go. If you try stage 1, you have to compile and install EVERYTHING..... which can take 2+ days.

On the upside, Stage 1 install of Gentoo will build a custom system highly tailers to your personal system.... it will also teach you A LOT.... but, it's a pain in the .. ;)

It's always been Slackware for me. It is the only one that I have been satisified with compared to Redhat, Gentoo, Mandrake, and SuSE.

what really makes the dif between the dif linux distros...i mean isnt linux linux? *sorry for so many newb question* but ya gentoo sounds cool cause i would really like to know how to use its but then i dont know the commands *isnt it command line* :/

Every distro has its differences. Linus Torvalds created the Linux kernel which shares the similarity between these distros. What makes them different is what they support, such as package management, updates, patches, and whatnot. Gentoo is a complete command line installed distro, but there is also a handbook that can guide you during the process.

Redhat 9 is the best for n00bs IMO. If you haven't played with Linux before I'd start with Redhat, and then move up to Mandrake.

mandrake is best for n00bs because the installer is easy, and red had does not even have mp3 support anymore.. go mandrake.. its easy, most hardware is automatically detcted :)

mandrake is best for n00bs because the installer is easy, and red had does not even have mp3 support anymore.. go mandrake.. its easy, most hardware is automatically detcted :)

There is no version that is best for n00bs. Everyone is going to like a different version. ;)

As far as your 2nd comment, that's about like saying you shouldn't use Windows because it doesn't support Divx.

RedHat is a Linux distro, and it never supported MP3. RedHat included XMMS as a media player... the MP3 part of XMMS is not included by default in RedHat 9 or Fedora due to patents concerns. If you want MP3 (IMO OGG > MP3 anyway) using XMMS in RedHat/Fedora you can either redownload and install XMMS or download the MP3 patch: http://havardk.xmms.org/dist/xmms-1.2.7-rh8-rh9-rpm/ (works in FC1 and FC2 as well).