Installing Drivers

Frankie_CWRU

I'm trying to instal drivers for a network card on the machine i just put linux on (first time with linux) and when i run the makefile it says there is an error, (no explanation) and doesn't do anything. I've downloaded another version of the drivers and still nothing. Since this is my first time using linux i figure i might be doing something really stupid, and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. I've got red hat 8.0 which i believe is running kernel 2.4.18-14. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Most NIC cards are used with kernel modules.

Your first step is finding which module is right for you! Look for your NIC card in this list:

http://www.justlinux.com/nhf/Networks/Module_List.html

Once you find it, look over in the "Driver" column, and in a command prompt as root, type:

modprobe [Text_In_Driver_Column]

Obviously, replace the whole [Text_In_Driver_Column] thing with the driver in the driver column. As long as you found the right card, you should have no output and the driver will show up in "lsmod". Now that you have your nic card loaded, you can establish a connection =)

I got this to work now, i reinstalled linux with a better version...not the free one that came with Linux for Dummies :blink: and everything seems to be working now

It's amazing what happens with an updated OS. :)

A suggestion... next time, include the manufacturer/model of the NIC card. :)