Information About Liquid Cooling

auiotour

I have browsed a few threads and really haven't found exactly what I am looking for, well actually what i should say is, I am not actually sure what i am looking for. But what I do know is I want to keep my Aluminum case, while not making my case look big, like the Koolance cases. I am not sure all of what I need, or what they are called. I want to cool my processor to about 40C under load. MAX. Right now with my P4 3.06E, I am running cool around 45-50C. And 80C when under 100% load. I want to dramatically cool my processor and cool my VGA Card. My card is a MSI nBox StarForce N5900U, and runs about 45C idle, and 55C at 100% load. Is cooling the processor 40C underload gonna be really hard? If So then maybe down to 50C. I would like to cool my graphics card by 20C. I need a heat sink for both sides of the graphics cards. Also, is there different types of liquid to use when cooling besides water. Or any additives that help keep the water clean or cool. What types of connectors should I use (safest/reliable).

Can someone please direct my to what I need, like model numbers to cover my bases. And preferably something reliable.

Wow! 80C is WAY TOO HOT! yes I'm shouting 'cause you should've read some posts to find out what temp is too high before you started oc'ing! :smack: I'd reduce your clock speed asap before you fry your processor.

Anyways you can't go wrong with dangerden or zalman for a waterblock. There's some really cool waterblocks made by a guy in australia, (can't remember the name right now search the forums,) with plexi tops and leds in them. Ice something? I can't remember.

For connectors use push on connectors with hose clamps for added protection.

For fluid use one of these options:

1.)50% water, 50% antifreeze, (red or green.)

2.)straight windshield washer fluid - the blue de-icer stuff. The red, (bugwash) has basic, (as in low ph) additives in it that melt the bugs away, (they turn oils into kind of like a soap) and it will dry out the lines so don't use the bugwash stuff.

3.)water with an algicide additive (boring)

I'd use option one.

For a rad there are lots of threads about how to use a heater core for a rad.

Hope this helps!

I am confused that links says antifreeze is bad then in the next paragraph it says to use it.

Why would you want antifreeze? I have read other things that have also said it was bad. (I would rather put water an alocohol. That was if I become poor. I can drain it and get drunk... lol okay bad joke... but serious i head antifreeze isn't good for it. And isn't it supposed to be for keeping thems warm? not cold?

anti-freezes purpose is basicly to keep water from freezing OR boiling - its a dual function liquid - it ALSO keeps water from growing algea but it can also weaken some types of hosing due to the fact that it is somewhat oil based (dont throw anti-freeze on a fire to put it out-youll end up making the fire worse)

i used antifreeze in my first few water prodjects and found it to cause discoloration to the clear hosing and clouded up - i also noticed that if you used tap water the antifreeze would pull the calcium out of the water and the calcium attached itself to the inside of the waterblock - i also noticed a little buildup using "electronicly distilled water"

antifreeze is also a rust/corrosion inhibitor but most of the parts in a watercooling kit/design wont rust since they are made out of copper, chromed, aluminum or brass (clamps will but if you have water on you clamps youre in trouble)

i still havnt found any logical reason why antifreeze is a puter water cooling "NONO" :S

anti-freezes purpose is basicly to keep water from freezing OR boiling - its a dual function liquid - it ALSO keeps water from growing algea but it can also weaken some types of hosing due to the fact that it is somewhat oil based (dont throw anti-freeze on a fire to put it out-youll end up making the fire worse)

i used antifreeze in my first few water prodjects and found it to cause discoloration to the clear hosing and clouded up - i also noticed that if you used tap water the antifreeze would pull the calcium out of the water and the calcium attached itself to the inside of the waterblock - i also noticed a little buildup using "electronicly distilled water"

antifreeze is also a rust/corrosion inhibitor but most of the parts in a watercooling kit/design wont rust since they are made out of copper, chromed, aluminum or brass (clamps will but if you have water on you clamps youre in trouble)

i still havnt found any logical reason why antifreeze is a puter water cooling "NONO" :S

Antifreeze is a glycol-based solution. It can cause deggregation to some types of hoses cheapo PVC for instance. If you go with a premium grade PVC you won't have any problems. Anti-freeze is not meant to keep things warm nor is it to prevent boiling. It serves a few purposes in an automobile:

1.) prevent freezing :blink:

2.) Provide lubrication to moving parts within the cooling system

3.) Provide a means of absorbing/releasing heat

The only reason coolant doesn't boil is that the cooling system is sealed and there is nowhere for the coolant to evaporate.

BTW you should never use plain tap water unless you know for a fact that your cities water is super-soft, (unless you don't mind your rad becoming clogged with scale!) Spen the extra $5 and use distilled water. This goes for cars too ;)

• 5 months later...

:withstupid:

Antifreeze is a glycol-based solution. It can cause deggregation to some types of hoses cheapo PVC for instance.  If you go with a premium grade PVC you won't have any problems.  Anti-freeze is not meant to keep things warm nor is it to prevent boiling.  It serves a few purposes in an automobile:

1.) prevent freezing :blink:

2.) Provide lubrication to moving parts within the cooling system

3.) Provide a means of absorbing/releasing heat

The only reason coolant doesn't boil is that the cooling system is sealed and there is nowhere for the coolant to evaporate.

BTW you should never use plain tap water unless you know for a fact that your cities water is super-soft, (unless you don't mind your rad becoming clogged with scale!)  Spen the extra $5 and use distilled water.  This goes for cars too ;)

301308[/snapback]

OK i made a name on this forum just because I saw this rediculous post. Antifreeze DOES prevent boiling and it DOES prevent freezing as the previous person stated. Glycol-based solutions are commonly used by a number of industries. Glycol-based solutions are inexpensive, relatively easy to manufacture and modify, and have a number of uses. Glycerine (glycerol) has the chemical formula C3H5 (OH)3 (MW = 92) and ethylene glycol (EG) has the chemical formula CH2(OH)CH2(OH) (MW = 62). A number of glycol-based chemicals are used that have the same root chemical formula with one or more different functional groups to create products with alternate properties and uses. EG polymers have a wide range in their degree of polymerization (DP) and typically maintain their DP well during use (i.e., they do not readily break down to monomer-EG, even at elevated temperatures).The most common use for EG is as a heat exchange fluid, because it has excellent thermal conductivity properties and EG/water solutions have high boiling points and low freezing points. EG and EG derivatives are also used during manufacture of resins, pharmaceuticals, foods, surfactants, lubricants(you got ONE thing right!), inks, solvents, polymers (plasticizers), and other products. By the way, Im sure you guys already know this, but EG is poisonous if ingested in sufficient quantity.

The other thing is your point about the water not boiling because the system is sealed is flawed, it is right but you dont know why. The cooling system in a car WILL boil if you get it hot enough. If you take a look at the cap, it is rated for a certain pressure, 5lbs, 10lbs, ect., and this is to increase the pressure of the cooling system by that amount. If you know much chemistry you know that the boiling of water can be expressed as a function of pressure. This is a well known fact and that is why there is separate cooking directions for those who live in higher altitudes (as their water boils at a cooler temperature, therefore increasing cook time, in fact you can make water boil at room temperature with a bell vaccum). The general rule that the probability of a molecule being in a state of energy E is exp(-E/kT) times a "phase space factor". If you think quantum mechanically, then the space factor tells how many different ways there are for the molecule to be in that state. If you think classically, the phase space factor can be thought of as how much room you have in physical space (x,y,z) times how much room in velocity space (vx,vy,vz). If the molecules require some energy E to be torn from their cozy home in the liquid and set on their own in the air, then the probability of them being out in the air will be proportional to exp(-E/kT). To the extent that the water vapor behaves like an ideal gas, the pressure is proportional to T times this probability. So:

p ~ T exp(-E/kT)

People who are looking for information are not looking for people to make up garbarge and post it, if you dont know what you are talking about, dont act like you do, just let the other people post. Sorry to wake up the dead, I know its an old post but this REALLY bothered me as Im an engineer with a lot of thermodynamics experience and this post was just utter stupidity. Sorry, things like this bother people like me :D

thanks for reading now that we have the record straight

Steve O