Lappy Question

Catsonar

Well I have a lappy that running at 266mhz, man this thing is so slow. Anyways, i would like to get a the fastest PII that was made, i believe it was clock a 450mhz, not sure. My question it now, will this lappy's mobo be able to take a better processor?

Back in those days, the cpu was typically integrated as part of the mobo. Thus, there is no way to replace the thing. Also, the desktop and laptop versions of the PII are completely different. (desktop=512K L2 at 1/2 clock speed, laptop=256k L2 at full clock speed) Even finding a higher clocked mobile PII would be a challenge, and the performance difference would be negligable anyway.

I replaced the 266 in my thinkpad 390e with a 333MhZ proc. This was after I tried to put a 450 in and I blew the mobo. The mobo is very sensitive to voltage/resistance changes in a laptop. Be sure to make sure that the proc yo install doesn't blow the mobo, (check with manufacturer,) otherwise you'll spend 3 months searching ebay to find a new mainboard like I did!