Bios Clear Switch

Well, I know for a fact that the computer won't boot if you forget to put the jumper back in. On the nf7's it doesn't do damage, it just won't boot. What I am unsure about is wether or not it will hurt my computer to turn it off accidentally while running.

I hear of people hotflashing bios's all the time. For those of you who don't know, this is when one boots up a motherboard using a functioning bios chip, then after it is booted, removes that chip while the computer is still on, replaces it with a faulty one and flashes the faulty one. Its a great way to save bios chips that have failed.

So I think there is a chance of ruining my bios chip by flipping the switch, but it isn't significant. EXPECIALLY if I turn on bios shadowing. But, heck, I am not gonna be the one to try. :P

Edited by ravix

I don't see why it would trash your BIOS. The battery and jumper don't touch your BIOS, they just stop power going to CMOS; where BIOS settings are saved.

That said, I do remember forgetting to put the jumper back on my NF7 one time but I couldn't remember the results. For what it's worth I could twiddle the clear jumper on the 133 while it is on and tell you what happens...

firstly, i caouldn't be bothered to read all the posts so i'm sorry in advance for reitteration (sp)

you will need a push to make switch for the jumper, and one for the battery, or get a switch that does two at once, those flick switches are either on or off, so to reset you would have to fick it up and then down again, not just push a button. you can get push to make toggle switches tho.

good idea

Are you sure? Is there really any point in having the jumper there if you have to remove the battery anyway?

EDIT: Oh, and are you unplugging the power cable from the PSU when you twiddle the jumper? That could be why perhaps...

Edited by markiemrboo