Heatercores V Radiators

a lot of the radiators available to buy are pre-modded heater-cores... they're just fitted with 1/2 inch barbs and maybe painted and kinda shrouded...

the difference is really the price.. and the convenience.. you can make your own radiator out of a heater core, but then you'll probably have to cut it, solder on some barbs, shroud it, etc... oh yeah paint it... radiators mean you don't have to do that but have to pay for the convenience...

oh yeah, with the folding banner... there should be a drop-down box below your signature text box in "my controls"... so select one of those and delete that code...

well, a double heater core's gonna be more than a single to start... so it'll be more like $45 maybe (new) and then you've gotta fart about with sheet metal, bending it around into a shroud - rivetting and/or welding it in shape, that's after you've cut off the pipes and fit barbs on there, soldering...

you're basically paying for materials and labour...

and blackice's profits...

you could get someone to make you a blackice type radiator if you were friendly enough with someone who repaired actual radiators and heater cores... for a lot less

I use a Pontiac Bonneville heater core (a heater core IS a radiator) and as Hard mentioned, I soldered on 1/2" fittings and made my own shroud.....

just a little bit of work, but I enjoy it.......

as mentioned you are paying for the labour and name...IMHO no better cooling.......

It's a metal or plastic covering for a radiator that focuses the airflow from your fan across the surface off the radiator. It's used to provide a standoff from the radiator as well as improve the efficiency of your cooling system. Kinda like the plastic umm, shroud, around the cooling fan on a car radiator picture

According to the folks over at procooling.com, the performance and price of a BIX is actually amusing when you take into account how much better a heater core is.

Which sucks, because I have a BIX. If I had it to do over, I'd prolly use a heatercore. D-Tek Customs sells a 6x6 one that comes with a shroud, it's a decent choice.

Bruce

what do you think would be easier and give better performance: buy a radiator and have the barbs resoldered or buy a heater core from DDEN with barbs and shroud, etc.?