Ide Controller Vanished

mazakman

not sure if it's the right place to post but here's my question.

i had windows 98se on my comp,p3 1000 , asus cusl2-c mb , 512 meg of ram , wd 40gig hd ,

pioneer dvd , plextor burner , ati radeon aiw(32meg) , d-link network card , creative sound card , 300 watt generic power supply(at the time i also had an older wd 13gig hd that was removed for cooling reasons.

i booted up my computer and was trying to access my burner with no result.i checked in the control panel under hardware to find that i had lost the ide controllers.i screwed around with the bios , changed the ide cables but that didn't help.has anyone ever heard of such a freak thing happening , did i have a trojan????i've been running with xp pro for the past week , seems fine(a little slow for my liking , but i guess that's the price to pay for stability).i really don't want that to happen again , any feedback would be apprciated!

no not really.i just remembered that the day before i pulled the burner out of my computer to use in my 12 year old son's computer,standard procedure,power down,unplug power cord and pull the burner out.i've done it many times and have never had any problems before.if it were to to be a static discharge from playing around in there,wouldn't there be major damage to the computer,or at least one of the components?this problem was software just disappearing.

the computer has been reconfigured under winxp as an upgrade from win98 and is running very stable so far,though xp seems to be very demanding on the hardware as aposed to win98,the drop in performance is extremely noticeable.

anyways,i must have done something stupid without realizing it and payed the price.thanks for the reply!