Uninstalling P4 Heatsink And Fan

I finally got to the installation of the Artic-Cool CPU fan and heatsink and the Artic VGA silencer (revision 2 Sly). It was quite an adventure. The old fan and sink came out pretty easy with the recommended twisted screwdriver applied in the right place. As you guys said, much easier with the Mobo out. I couldn't get the new CPU cooler brackets installed and thought maybe I had the wrong model. I finally figured out that you had to press down on the posts to get the clips to lock in (I was pressing on the center of the fan thinking this thing is way too big!).

The Artic VGA silencer was actually the easier job, although the provided brackets don't work with my All-In-Wonder, so I had to do a little surgery. I put everything back together and my computer wouldn't start! I rechecked all the connections carefully, but couldn't find anything amiss, so I ended up taking it down to the PC shop and they said I plugged the VGA power in backwards. So I did all this work and ended up paying $70!

I checked the CPU temp. and it was the usual 44-45C range although the fan is running at 400 rpms less, so I turned the fan up. The fire department alarm began ringing and the Bios slapped me in the head and said YOU CAN'T DO THAT!!! It seems I vaguely remember someone writing about this... Is this just an adjustment I have to make in the Bios (I hope)???

I was just browsing the Video and sound topics and saw someone talking about ATItools. I'll try it. Is that Atitools.com?

Edited by Interlocutor

I rechecked all the connections carefully, but couldn't find anything amiss, so I ended up taking it down to the PC shop and they said I plugged the VGA power in backwards. So I did all this work and ended up paying $70!

what the heck? Ok, please tell me it wasn't a molex. Granted, I have actually -seen- a molex plugged in backwards, this is next to impossible. (i thought the 25pin parallel cable was impossible to plug in backwards, until i saw that one day...)

Unless you are using the smaller 4-pin power cable... ... ... I think that is one-directional too....