Uninstalling P4 Heatsink And Fan

Hi

I've been reading the threads for a while now and I finally joined. I built my first computer and now I think I'm ready to start overclocking. To that end, I've begun to purchase "cooling" devices. I have an Artic colling 4ProL that I want to install, it seems quite easy to do. The problem I have is, when I lifted the clips hlding the stock Intel CPU fan and heatsink, it, duh, didn't just lift out. I tugged pretty hard but figured there must be something else to release and that I'd better get help before I break something. Can someone please make a suggestion?

Abit IC3-Max mobo <_<

Did you use any kind of thermal paste when you installed the heatsink, or did you just use the thermal pad? If you used the paste, its probaly just bonded really well. You can take a piece of fishing line and gently run it under the heatsink to help loosen the paste, or some people use a credit card and flat head screwdriver.

I had to wrestle a bit when I removed the stock hsf. The little hooks on the corners get caught. It's harder to see what's going on with the hooks and manipulate them when the mobo is still in the case. It'll be easier anyway to fit your new cooler in with the mobo out. Then you can also more easily make sure for example that no thermal compound ooses out, etc (if you put too much). With a Zalman at least it's possible to see that; don't know about yours. But nice to be able to check all that.

Cleaning off the black gunk from the heat spreader won't be fun, but make sure to get it all off. First with credit card, then with high purity isopropyl alcohol or Akasa TIM Clean (be careful not to bend the pins while you're at it).

If you used the paste, its probaly just bonded really well.  You can take a piece of fishing line and gently run it under the heatsink to help loosen the paste

Thats my favorite way... although my first time I just pulled it up, and the cpu stuck to the heatsink(probably not good for the pins) :O

Thanks for all of the advice. I didn't have any thermal compound when I installed the CPU/heatsink (never even heard of it!), so none to scrape off. I got some with the kit and ordered some from Newegg for future use, or just in case the Artic Cooler didn't come with any. I'm just too lazy to pull the mobo out and deal with all the spaghetti, but I guess that's what I'll have to do. I'm expecting a VGA Silencer for my ATI 9800 Pro tomorrow, so maybe I'll wait and tackle both at the same time. I'll keep you informed and thanks again.

For removing the black bracket use a thin screw driver and push each of the four hooks out of the slots. As for removing the Intel black heatpad that melts on there, use car brake cleaner (or carb cleaner) both are toluene, which is a sweet little organic compound that will dissolve the black stuff and the thermal grease, but not hurt the chip at all. You can get it from any car parts store for very cheap. Then wipe it clean with rubbing alcohol before applying new thermal grease.

for getting off the fan:::

take a flat head screfw driver and stick it into the 4 slots... after you push those tabs up...

stick the sccerw driver into those 4 tabs and twist the screw driver counter clockwise and you should hear a click! repete for theother corners and the fan comes of!!

Thermal Paste Recommendation: Arctic Silver 5-only the best!!

I could be wrong, but I didn't think the Arctic Cooling CPU HSFs were good for OC'ing. But, I've never used one, so I could be wrong. I do, however, have an Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer Rev. 3 for my 9600XT. sweet overclocking goodness

:foldon:

Thanks again for all the advice.

The VGA Silencer (REV. 2) came in today (late), along with a tube of Artic Silver 5; as you all recommended. I'm kind of reluctant to go into surgury on my expensive new patients (barely a month old), hell, I have trouble with window shade brackets! Everything's so small and delicate. What the hell, if I break it, I'll have an excuse to upgrade right? (Ha) Years ago I used to model HO scale trains, back when my hands were steadier, better eyesight and more patience. Fortunately, I still have the tools from those days and they'll come in handy.

By the way, I downloaded Power Strip and did my first minor OC on the Radeon 9800, but I guess I'll save that story for another topic.