advice on new system build solely for gaming

Voltes_5

Alright ladies and gents, I wan to build a new gaming system for myself. The holidays are coming and am hoping that prices will be favorable. Last current system is i5250K/P8P 67Pro/GTX 980 Ti SLI. Budget is currently at $1500 to $2000, I believe most of that will go towards a great GPU. I play mostly RPG, Witcher, Fallout, Skyrim and sometimes FPS. This build will be a complete new system including a new OS. Thank you so very much for all the help in advance, Aloha.

edit: disregard the budget

edit: first choice so far on a cpu

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-i5-12600K-Desktop-Processor-Unlocked/dp/B09FX4D72T/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=intel+core+i5-12600k&qid=1636852638&s=electronics&sr=1-1#customerReviews

Edited by Voltes_5

Unfortunately today's market has GPU prices highly inflated, so a "great GPU" could take up most of that budget of yours. Personally, I would be inclined to keep using one or both GTX 980 TI's until that market calms down, even though that might be months yet. Unless you are running at a higher resolution, I would think even one of those would be enough for the games you mentioned at high or their highest configurations. My RX 580 has been holding up well enough with newer titles than those you mentioned, but I am using a 1080p class monitor. I know the GTX 980 (non-Ti) and RX 580 trade blows, so the GTX 980 Ti likely beats it more often than not. I have never worked with SLI so I cannot comment on that.

I would also hold out for a few weeks on the other parts, just to see how AMD CPU prices react to Intel's Alder Lake release. I'm not sure how much they may have already shifted, or if you're interested in an AMD CPU, but those may be settling still from the new competition. One thing to note with an AMD CPU currently though is that the AM4 platform is near end of life, likely only getting one more CPU release, and that will be the Zen3 dies with V-Cache. Maybe that is a reason to go Intel, or a reason to maybe not go with Ryzen 5000 but find a less expensive Ryzen 3000 that will suit your needs. Remember to aim for something that more than satisfies your needs and not necessarily the absolute best; the performance difference is not always that much, while the price difference is.