I need help setting up a secondary TP Link AX1500 Router

Kevin241

The main “router” or whatever it is is the AT&T BGW210 Gateway. I have an Ethernet line from port 3 that goes down to the unfinished basement with a DIY keystone jack and an extended cable to go into the finished part (where my devices are). Currently, the extended cable goes directly into my PC, where I can remove and plug in to my Switch/PS4/etc. I want to be able take the internet from the extended cable, plug it into the WAN port and allow that bandwidth to be privately spread over Ethernet, 2.4G, and 5G channels (essentially, my own section of private bandwidth, especially for Oculus Airlink on 5GHz). I have connected the blue (previously mentioned) cable into the router but to no avail. Searching online tells me to change the IP address to not interfere with the AT&T, and also disable DHCP on the TP Link. Both I’ve done, none have worked, as the webpage status indicates that the WAN port is not connected, when it physically is. I’ve also tried cloning the MAC of my PC, no avail. I at least want to fix it to enable 2.4G, 5G, and Ethernet so I can get more cables for my other devices in the future, as well as be prepared for the Oculus V28 update for AirLink. Thank you for responding if you choose to! Have a nice day!

• 1 month later...

Usually you have to set the extra router to AP (access point) mode.  And that involves connecting the extra router, by itself to a PC or laptop and logging into it. You need to be isolated from your current network.

Usually the login info is on a label on the bottom of the router.  Navigate to the page that allows you to change from Router mode to AP mode.  Reboot the extra router and now your main router will assign an IP address to the new AP when you connect it to your main network.