Mugen 5 rev. B added second fan

Klaus083

Hi, I recently changed an old H60 which was working fine for a Mugen 5, mostly because it's 10 years old and it surpassed its lifespan. I have a Ryzen 3600. Temps with the Mugen 5 are very similar, generally a little lower at load, almost the same or higher at idle, but it has some spikes that weren't present with the old AIO.

I decided to add the H60 120 mm. cooler to the heatsink for a push/pull config. Since it has higher RPM, right now the Mugen fan is as pull, and the H60's as push.

I don't see a noticebeable improvement, if any at all. Since I have a Corsair Spec Alpha case, changing the coolers is a considerable effort, 'cause I have to remove the top exhaust fan, and the clips with the H60 fan are really hard to take out (it's much tighter than the stock fan).

Do you think it would be better to take out the H60's fan and leave the Mugen with the stock as push, or leave the push/pull with the H60's fan? 

BTW by reading reviews I thought that changing the H60 to a Mugen 5 would be an upgrade, but it was more like a side-grade, so I'm kinda dissapointed.  

Temps at idle are between 39-50, 72 after running Cinebench R15, and 79-82 with Prime95 at maximum heat with ocassional spikes to 88. 

Edited by Klaus083

I have 1 120 mm. TT turbofan as back exhaust, 1 top back 120 mm. 1200 rpm Corsair Case fan , 1 TT 120 mm. 1200 rpm case front intake, and 2 more 120 mm. Corsair 1200 rpm front.

I used to have the H60 AIO in the front.

Also, I recently added a third front fan, and the temps are better now (the one with red leds).

I did some testing with the 2 different configurations and here are the results:

H60 push/ Mugen Pull
37c-39c idle
1600rpm push h60 fan
1200rpm pull mugen

Max Heat Cinebench 3 Cycles: 73c
Max Heat Prime 95 (Maximum Power-Heat-CPU Stress) 12 mins: 79c

Mugen Push (Mugen stock setup)
35c-45c idle

1150rpm push mugen

Max Heat Cinebench 3 Cycles: 75c
Max Heat Prime 95 (Maximum Power-Heat-CPU Stress) 12 mins: 83c

ad6ed9e5-5625-4fd2-a3ab-f7f392a4a4ac.jpg

24be8c3b-19f5-4caa-8283-79eb407f7c9a.jpg

Edited by Klaus083

Now, I have a better idea of what's going on. With the AIO as an intake, you have the the ideal position for coldest airflow. Nothing else competes with it for airflow. When you change to a tower cooler, it's got to compete in a smaller area, surrounded by other components releasing heat. Your results with the tower cooler are to be expected, given the restrictions it has in place. Whether you have the additional 120mm fan on the tower cooler is up to you, the issue is not with airflow, however. Your issue is that the cooler can only work with the air surrounding it, not that the cooler itself is overloaded.

Given that you get similar results with either cooler, just stick with the tower and single fan.  Unless you're absolutely tied to those LED fans, consider changing to some Noctua or other premium fan.

You already own the H60 fan, so use it until you do something with that water cooler.

Water cooling is better than air cooling.

Upgrading water cooling would be a 120 rad to 240 rad or 240 rad to 360 rad.

You could consider modding the AIO H60 and buy a supplemental rad connected in series.