Various Video Game News from the Week of March 30, 2020

Guest_Jim_*

I have been fairly busy recently and not been keeping up with some of the video game news I have been getting, so I thought what may be a good idea is to bring much of it together into this single item. I am not sure if this is something I will try doing again, but right now there is some game news I want to cover and this seems the best way to me to do so.

First up is some game store news. The Epic Games Store has begun its Spring Sale with quite a select of games on sale, including some at some decent discounts, like 35% off Control, 20% off MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries, and 50% off Metro Exodus and its Gold Edition that includes the Expansion Pass DLC. It is worth noting as well that the Epic Coupons from the holiday sale are still good and will give you $10 off a purchase of $15 or more. This sale ends on April 16 and the coupon expires on May 1.

Source: Epic Games

Separate from the sale, you will also find Drawful 2, Gone Home, and Hob all free to keep on the Epic Games Store until April 9, as part of its long-running weekly games giveway. Totally Reliable Delivery Service is also free until April 8, celebrating its release week. You can find all four of these games by visiting the Epic Games Store homepage.

Though its Spring Sale has already ended, GOG currently has SYMMETRY free. According to its GOG page, SYMMETRY is a survival management game set in a retro-futuristic universe. Your goal is to help those who survived the crash of a research spaceship survive the abandoned planet they are now on. It is free for only 48 hours, so get it before the giveaway expires.

Source: GOG

The remaining news I have concerns game announcements and I will work through them publisher-alphabetical order, starting with Deep Silver. Windbound has been announced for the PC, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Nintendo Switch, and is scheduled to release on August 28. In this game you play as Kara, a warrior who was separated from her tribe during a storm and washes up on the shores of the Forbidden Islands. To survive, Kara will have to adapt to her situation and rely on exploring and hunting to find the resources she needs. She will also need to craft a boat so she can move from one island to the next, once resources become scarce. The Forbidden Islands are home to more than the creatures living there and freshly-marooned Kara as there are mysterious ruins that can reveal secrets of the past and glimpses of the future. The solution to their mystery might be what will get her home.

Developed by 5 Lives Studio, Windbound intends to provide a new direction for the survival genre with its nomadic hunting and exploration in the game's procedural world with dynamic wildlife. This design will give it replayability similar to what we see with rogue-like games, and also helping to make each experience different is that the boat crafting system is modular. You will need your boat to survive the winds, waves, and sea monsters, so build it well.

Source: Deep Silver and Press Release

From HandyGames we have the announcement of Airhead, a Metroidvania-style platformer. In this game you play as Body who decides to help his friend Head after an unknown machine took his air-pumping heart. To keep Head alive you will need to use air tanks scattered throughout the levels to inflate him, and eventually you will need to discover the connection between the heart and the technology throughout this dystopian world.

Airhead is coming to PC, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Nintendo Switch in 2021.

Source: HandGames

This week Good Company, published by The Irregular Corporation, has entered Steam Early Access. This is a tycoon game that lets you start your own company and manage it to achieve dominance in the market. Of course, you could also fail in the market, overproducing something the public does not want, but that is just an opportunity to learn as you transition to something more profitable. There is both a Campaign Mode with scenarios to challenge you and the Freeplay Mode that is endless, so you can grow your company as you wish, mastering invention, automation, and expansion.

Source: Press Release

Lastly we have some news from Square Enix as NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139… was announced as in development for PC, Xobx One, and PlayStation 4. This is a rebuild of the original game that achieved cult-classic status and launched the NieR series, alongside NieR Gestalt. This is also going to be the first time this specific game will be available in the West as originally NieR Replicant and NieR Gestalt were two versions of the game, but it was only NieR Gestalt that released in the West under the title NIER. In both versions of the game, you play as Nier trying to find a cure for Yonah, but in NieR Replicant Nier and Yonah are brother and sister, while in NieR Gestalt the relationship is father and daughter. This announcement is that the game is in development and we do not have a speculated release window yet.

Source: Square Enix

Back to original news post