Odd behaviour HDD

WarWeeny

So every so often my HDD goes to 100% out of nowhere (usually when i watch a video) and stays there for a minute or 2 before backing down and resuming as usual.

Afterwards i get an error saying "server execution failed" - but i am not connected to the internet most of the time (laptop, only go to library for internet stuff like emails and shit) and i do not get this error all the time (it comes and goes about once a month? if even that). Also, when i access a file (like playing a video) the HDD "clicks" before attempting to play it, but it does not do that after it has done that initially (so all the things i do after it, it does not "click") i just assuming this has to do with accessing the data on the disk, so i am not that worried about this, but i thought i'd give it a mention.

I crystal-disk check the disk, everything seems healthy, but i am still a bit worried. Also did a disk check in windows itself.

Do i have a setting enabled that does this or is this a problem in windows 10 itself (anniversary update installed).

I backed up some important files, just in case the HDD is failing (although it only is about a year old).

So am i doing something wrong here, are my settings not right, or is my HDD failing on me already?

I have added a crystaldisk info screenshot if anything peculiar can be found there.

I thought i'd ask here for some answers.

post-70501-0-65080300-1493038220_thumb.png

I don't know a whole lot about windows 10.., so grain of salt with me ;)

but, the disk usage going to 100% sounds pretty normal. I would guess that it's just the pagefile being utilized.

The "server execution failed" is probably application specific. Do you generally see it after watching videos or what?

The "clicking" is a little bit more concerning. I've had drives where you can here the spindle click that have lasted for a long time, but usually that's a bad sign, so it's definitely good that you backed everything up. You did say it only happens when you initially access a file, so maybe you're just hearing the spindle moving and your drive is unusually loud. But again, usually when I hear hdd "clicking", I think, uh oh.

(EDIT: If you don't want the 100%, I think there should be pagefile settings you can adjust somewhere)

Edited by tacohunter52

I don't know a whole lot about windows 10.., so grain of salt with me ;)

but, the disk usage going to 100% sounds pretty normal. I would guess that it's just the pagefile being utilized.

The "server execution failed" is probably application specific. Do you generally see it after watching videos or what?

The "clicking" is a little bit more concerning. I've had drives where you can here the spindle click that have lasted for a long time, but usually that's a bad sign, so it's definitely good that you backed everything up. You did say it only happens when you initially access a file, so maybe you're just hearing the spindle moving and your drive is unusually loud. But again, usually when I hear hdd "clicking", I think, uh oh.

(EDIT: If you don't want the 100%, I think there should be pagefile settings you can adjust somewhere)

Regarding the clicking sound, it only clicks once, after that, i would not hear it unless i reboot the system.

Pagefile options did not give me any immediate answers, so i guess it could be something else (i already disabled power savings, in case people wondered, so it does not turn of every x minutes)

The "server execution failed" error only comes after the 100% "bug" is going away, otherwise, it never shows up.