I want to try a push pull config. on ID-Cooling Frostflow 120L

I just won this CPU cooler in the annual contest and would like to add a second fan in a push pull configuration.  Would I use a fan splitter plugged into the CPU slot to get the fans spinning at the same rate?  If not how should I connect the fans and configure the speeds?  Also, do you think I will gain much with this type of setup?  Thanks

If you have identical fans a splitter will work. Otherwise, they'll likely run at differing speeds and that may or may not cause odd resonance/pulsing sounds.

I contacted ID-Cooling's sales department and they gave me a couple of links, so I think I can get the fan I need for about $12.99 from Hong Kong.  I may go that route to cut down on potential problems.  Something to think about, and their is no hurry...I just thought it might be fun to try.  Thanks Waco.

I have a question about the splitter, one end goes into the cpu port, then you have two lines coming out of it going to the fans and one has the regular 4 pin configuration and the other line has a 3 pin config..  I think that this is so that the second fan doesn't send feedback (on speed) to the motherboard and cause problems.  Does the 3 pin plug go to the pull (exhaust) fan?  Also will this fan run at full speed all the time or will it run at the same speed as the other fan?  Let me know if my thinking is wrong on this or if I'm looking at the wrong splitter.  Thanks

Edited by Minime 939

I have a question about the splitter, one end goes into the cpu port, then you have two lines coming out of it going to the fans and one has the regular 4 pin configuration and the other line has a 3 pin config..  I think that this is so that the second fan doesn't send feedback (on speed) to the motherboard and cause problems.  Does the 3 pin plug go to the pull (exhaust) fan?  Also will this fan run at full speed all the time or will it run at the same speed as the other fan?  Let me know if my thinking is wrong on this or if I'm looking at the wrong splitter.  Thanks

Push or pull fan is not impacted by which connector it goes to (3 or 4). From what I understand the 4 pin one is the one that registers the fan speed, so only 1 fan is being monitored. But both fans will receive the same amount of current, regardless of the number of pins.

So you dont' need to worry which fan is plug where, you should just make sure they are linked. (which you are already doing)

Push or pull fan is not impacted by which connector it goes to (3 or 4). From what I understand the 4 pin one is the one that registers the fan speed, so only 1 fan is being monitored. But both fans will receive the same amount of current, regardless of the number of pins.

So you dont' need to worry which fan is plug where, you should just make sure they are linked. (which you are already doing)

Great, thanks for the help.  I think I'm ready to order the parts now.  Do you think I will see a noticeable difference with the second fan?

Great, thanks for the help.  I think I'm ready to order the parts now.  Do you think I will see a noticeable difference with the second fan?

Don't expect it to change drasticly, but you could easily see 2 - 5 Celcius in difference. (depends on the cooler & fans)

Are they PWM fans? If so, you could get a fan controller - they make ones that go in 5 1/4 bays, and some small, discreet ones that just go anywhere inside case. You can connect anywhere from 2-8+ fans and the either control with a button or dial, or via software.

Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

Don't expect it to change drasticly, but you could easily see 2 - 5 Celcius in difference. (depends on the cooler & fans)

If I could get 5 degrees I'd be happy.  I think I'm going to try a different thermal paste (I'm using what came with it), that might help a bit.  Any Ideas on a good TIM?

Edited by Minime 939